Bobbin Thread Keeps Breaking

There are a number of common reasons for the bobbin thread in your sewing machine to break. Resolving these issues will make sewing easier. This is a guide about fixing bobbin thread that keeps breaking.

I have a Bernina machine which is sewing OK with the normal foot. I have attached the walking foot to quilt with and now the thread keeps breaking in the the bobbin case and the sewing is all bunched on the back. I have cleaned the machine, adjusted the tension, put a new needle in, rewound the bobbin in a new bobbin, and prayed to the sewing machine fairy. Any other suggestions?

Answers

Best Answer

When you write that you've adjusted the tension, have you tightened the tension, or loosened it? To use a walking foot you want to LOOSEN, same as you would for stretch and or zig-zag sewing.

Regular servicing is important - the reason Mpscarlet's Bernina came back from servicing with the thread breaking issue resolved is that the tech cleaned accumulated thread lint and fuzz out of the tension discs. All machines have tension discs either on a dial on the outside of the machine, or inside. Regular servicing means those discs (among other routine checks/servicing) are cleaned and inspected.

The only other reasons your bobbin thread would be breaking whilst the walking foot is employed would be either incorrect install of the foot (surprisingly easy, changing the setting on the feed dogs makes a difference re installing a foot) or the bobbin case tension needs adjusting. Your manual (available as a free download from the Bernina site if your's has gone missing) will show you how to adjust it safely.

What makes the bottom spool on my Jones sewing machine keep breaking? It's just driving me mad as I've tried everything to rectify it.

Answers

Make sure the bobbin is not inserted backwards

your tension is too tight or the thread is old

I do not know what you have tried but maybe this will help:
From one website:

"The upper thread tension could be set too tight. Set the tension to the best thread tension setting or less. Make sure the spool of thread is installed correctly using the correct size spool cap for the size of spool. ... Check that the bobbin is wound so that it about 80% full and that the thread is evenly wound. Be sure thread is not old or twisted."

www.jonessewing.com/

Here is a link to the company if you still have problems:

www.jonessewing.com/Contact

You may find some useful information on this popular site:

ismacs.net/.../home.html

Here is a link to service manuals:

ismacs.net/.../manuals.html

If you don't have a solution yet, try asking the company. Their info is www.jonessewing.com/

Good wishes for an easy solution!!

My bobbin thread is getting stuck around the bobbin casing and snapping. I have trouble shot the tension, changed the needle, changed both threads, made sure the bobbin is in the casing, taken apart the bobbin, put it back together, and cleaned, oiled, and dusted the machine. I can get about 10 stitches and then the bobbin snaps because it's getting stuck inside and around the casing. The thread is also nesting on the fabric

I really don't want to take it in because I know it's a really simple thing that I just havent thought of yet! I have also adjusted the bobbin tension on the bobbin casing following YouTube videos. When do I know if I have to go in and see someone? I'm wondering if it's an issue with timing.

Answers

Make sure there isnt a bit of thread or fabric still in there. Also, make sure the bobbin is not upside down or backwards

When I blow your photo up, it looks like the thread is not going through the groove of the casing that feeds it up through the dogs.

I have a Kenmore it I have to manually make this happen and hear it click in to that groove or it bunches.

Double check that. The only other thing is are all the threads you tested new with no chance of dry rot?

Dry rot thread is my worst culprit...I tend to hoard threads and then use them when they are old. Sometimes it is OK, but sometimes it gums up everything.

If I am in a hurry and don't see/hear the click, it pulls up, but that is bunch time.

Hope one of these works for you!

My sewing machine thread keeps breaking after a couple of seconds. It is not the bobbin thread. Am I threading it wrong?

By Alice

Answers

Could be the tension is off on either top thread or bottom thread OR if your sewing machine is vintage; it's likely you need to use cotton thread instead of the newer popularly used thread as it tends to stretch whereas cotton does not. I own my grandmother's electric sewing machine and found the problem to be thread type and had to buy cotton for it to work properly.