Bobbin Thread is Bunching Up

Adjusting the tension on your sewing machine can usually fix the problem of bunched bobbin thread. This is a guide about bobbin thread is bunching up.

Why is my bobbin thread bunching up? I have a 1934 Singer Featherweight. It has been a very reliable machine, but the bobbin thread keeps bunching up on the back of my piece that I am sewing.

By Pamela Kitchen from Greenville, SC

Answers

Best Answer

Put the feed dog down as if you are going to start to sew. Then catch up the ends of the bobbin and top threads and hold them firmly to the left of the presser foot for the first few stitches. That should solve the problem.

The bobbin thread is catching and bunching up under the fabric. I can sew a few stitches (3-4) then my thread catches. When I pull the fabric up (quite forcibly) there is a ball of tangled thread underneath. What am I doing wrong?

By TAJDunk

Answers

Best Answer

As per previous answers the problem is caused by the setting on your machine. Tension wheel needs lowering in number.

I have owned a Kenmore sewing machine model 158.13510 since the mid 1970s. I used it a month ago with no problems. Today I tried sewing a straight seam and the thread keeps bunching up on the bottom. Any solutions? I called a Sears repair center and was told they don't repair sewing machines any longer.

Answers

I have a 1960s Kenmore and when mine does this it is either old thread, the bobbin being in backwards, the winder did a wonky job, or a huge dust build up in the bobbin case.

If your thread is good, and the bobbin in right, unwind a bit of the thread and try again. If it is still an issue, use a clean brush, not canned air, and clean out the bobbin case.

I am sad they aren't fixing machines. Hopefully my baby machine will stay healthy! Post back what you learn!

The tension on the bottom is wrong. You may have inadvertently moved the bobbin screw. Refer to your manual as to how to adjust the tension.

Why does my bobbin keeps filling up all raggedy? I keep having to waste thread.

Thanks.
giftsandbags.com

Answers:

Bobbin Problems

It sounds like the thread is not being fed properly through all the hooks. Did you check your manual? There should be a hook or something that puts tension on the thread while it's coming off the spool and going onto the bobbin. By the way, you could always put the loose thread on the spool pin and put it, correctly, onto another bobbin. Good luck.(11/17/2006)

By Eileen Santos