Checking for Damage from a Nearby WildFire

There was a wildfire about a mile from my home. Is there a test I can use to find out if there is inside and outside damage to my home?

By Wendy from Valencia, CA

My husband, a retired firefighter says a fire that distance away should not do damage, except soot which should only be on the outside unless you had your windows or door open. If you think it was hot enough, check you roof shingles and any air filters of air going from outside to inside like furnace filter, air conditioner filter. If they smell of smoke or look sooty, clean or change the filters, maybe a couple of times. It was too far away for any damage according to his 20+ years of experience. Check with Lands and Forests or the local fire hall if you are still uncertain.

Nearby Wildfire
Checking for Damage from a Nearby Wildfire
Home and Garden Home Improvement AdviceMarch 2, 2010
Checking Your Tire Pressure
Checking Your Tire Pressure
Wild Grape Vines
Getting Rid Of Wild Grape Vines
Old Apple
Are My Apples Safe to Eat?
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub