Checking for Damage from a Nearby Wildfire

Category Home
When there has been a wildfire near your home you want to be sure there is no damage to your home or out buildings. This guide is about checking for damage from a nearby wildfire.

There was a wildfire about a mile from my home. Is there a test I can use to find out if there is inside and outside damage to my home?

By Wendy from Valencia, CA

Answers

My husband, a retired firefighter says a fire that distance away should not do damage, except soot which should only be on the outside unless you had your windows or door open. If you think it was hot enough, check you roof shingles and any air filters of air going from outside to inside like furnace filter, air conditioner filter. If they smell of smoke or look sooty, clean or change the filters, maybe a couple of times. It was too far away for any damage according to his 20+ years of experience. Check with Lands and Forests or the local fire hall if you are still uncertain.