Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cleaning Vinyl Floor Tiles

I have cream colored vinyl tiles on my kitchen floor. Despite regular cleaning, these tiles have gotten really dirty. I can see dirt and grime in the grooves. I have used ammonia (diluted with water), Pinesol, ivory dish liquid, etc. Nothing seems to work. Can someone suggest a safe cleaning solution? I have an infant in the house so I cant use too much of any harsh chemicals.

SB from PA

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By cookie2 [1]09/04/2011

I have white, faux marble vinyl tiles in the foyer and in one of my bathrooms. The only thing that cleans this tile is Formula 409. Spray it on, let it set for about a minute, then mop it up with a damp mop. Up will come all that dirt and grime that was immoveable before. Works every time without fail, like magic.

By zac07/28/2010

Cleaning vinyl floor tiles, having read the comment that steam cleaning was the way to go, I tried this, it did not work and the tiles shrank so new tiles now needed.

By Ken Hutchings (Guest Post)12/12/2007

If you are still having problems send me an email. I strip and wax vinyl floors and will offer some advice to you. kennethleehutch AT netzero.com

By tcmjem (Guest Post)09/20/2007

I use Goo Be Gone on the difficult areas. The Armstrong dealer told me to use SoftScrub which also works.

By Karen [10]09/20/2007

I have a H2O mop that uses water and does a fast and thorough job it is from a company called Thane I' would buy it again in a heartbeat!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cleaning Vinyl Floor Tiles

I have new vinyl floor tiles, what do you clean them with, so they won't become dull?

ediaz

RE: Cleaning Vinyl Floor Tiles

I don't have new vinyl, or even fairly new, but all the recommendations that I've seen in the past weeks have said equal parts of Vinegar and Water. Nothing else. I used this solution on my hardwood floors and it cut the crud like you wouldn't believe. People swear by it, and well, it's inexpensive too. I buy a small bottle, and then it's easy to know the ratio 1:1. I fill it with water after emptying the vinegar. Best of Luck to You. (05/23/2005)

By CndyHnt

RE: Cleaning Vinyl Floor Tiles

Thank you, CndyHnt (4), I'll try it! I had also heard about the vinegar, but I didn't believe it. (05/23/2005)

By Edna Diaz

Archive: Cleaning Vinyl Floor Tiles

I work in a Church and the vinyl tile floor in the parish hall and kitchen has grime that will not come up. We can use a floor scrubber for the larger areas but the corners and edges will not come clean. They have not been maintained over the years and now the dirt appears permanent. The floors are waxed so there is probably wax over the grime. We have tried to lift the grime with towels soaked in ammonia with little success. Is there any miracle product that would work?

Mnordeen from Wakefield, MA

RE: Cleaning Vinyl Floor Tiles

I once had a kitchen floor with the same problem - waxed-over grime. I used straight ammonia and a nylon scrubber to get it off. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to do this - you have to get on your knees and scrub! (05/04/2007)

By Anna

RE: Cleaning Vinyl Floor Tiles

Use greased lightning for any floors will even take out permanent marker. It is made in Clemson SC and can be bought in Lowes or Walmart. (05/04/2007)

By Toni

RE: Cleaning Vinyl Floor Tiles

When we moved into this house about 3 years ago, our renters (5 different families in 15 years) hadn't cleaned the kitchen floor very well. Under the cabinet edges and all around the outside edges, the tile (light blue and almost 50 years old) was dirty. Apparently it had been mopped and waxed many times. I bought some Awesome at the dollar store and before we read the directions, my daughter used that while scrubbing on her hands and knees and you would NOT believe what it did!! It is simply AWESOME! We read later that it should be diluted 10:1 with water - so that's what we do now. We own a restaurant and use it there to clean grease also. Like I said, it was at the dollar store - apparently it's success on tv informercials was over - it was like $20 for that bottle on there years ago. It will clean anything I've tried it on!! (05/04/2007)

By Marlene

RE: Cleaning Vinyl Floor Tiles

Once while helping a couple clean from the Military, we were using Spray Power (found at Walmart) on the grime of shower doors. Little known to us it was taking the wax off the floor under the door. (We had the doors off in a better ventilated area). It is very strong but will roll the wax right up.

Good luck! (05/06/2007)

By Michele

RE: Cleaning Vinyl Floor Tiles

My hubby and I purchased a good heavy duty steam cleaner last year as I cannot scrub due to a neck injury. Well, when we first got it, I tried a little section under the edge where the cabinets are and are pretty dirt embedded. It lifted it right up and then I swiped it with a clean rag and presto a beautiful clean spot on the kitchen floor. Still haven't done the whole floor yet as the house is in a construction phase and it is a mess here. I think it is a McCollough. I believe they make tools or some thing. My husband was a happy camper to buy it. Good luck on those floors! (05/07/2007)

By Laura