Cleaning of Footprints on Laminate Floor

Category Floors
Hard surface floors such as wood, tile, and laminate can show water spots, foot prints, and other smudges. Using the right cleaner will remove footprints, and the like on your flooring. This is a guide about cleaning footprints on laminate floor.

I have been regretful of our floor choice from day one of my laminate floor install. We choose them due to high traffic and pool access. I've searched for years for the right solution for the footprints and smudges that show up immediately after cleaning the floor. So, finally here it is!

Cheap and simple odorless mineral spirits (in the paint section of the big box stores next to thinners) and water. I make a 50/50 mixture and use a mopping pad, working backwards in medium sections. After each section, I take an old bath towel (or cheap one) and dry the section just cleaned. Wait until dry to walk on the floor. I've only done this once so far but NO footprints.

Previously, any solution: Swifter, Bona, Vinegar, etc., would show footprints immediately. Fingers crossed and I am calm after cleaning!

I have laminate flooring and have been cleaning it with a Swiffer Wet Jet. Now every foot print shows up on the floor. How do I get the floor back to the way it was? It looks horrible right now.

Steve from Nesconset, NY

Answers

You need to get down on your knees with a sprayer bottle of vinegar and water . Spray small area, wipe with a good thick grade of paper towel and wipe with a second paper towel and all the marks will be gone.It is very hard work but looks great when whole floor is done in this manner. Good luck! Never use soap or any other cleaner as it will show lines..

Try damp mopping with Murphy's oil soap for wood, rinse with a clean damp mop, and dry the floor by walking around on a big towel.

You might want to wear slippers between cleanings. ;)

I had the same problem with the Swiffer wetjet. I threw it away.
I got a big bottle of Zep laminate floor cleaner at Home Depot or Lowes. Works great on laminate floors. I got one of those Rubbermaid duster-mop that copmes with both the green duster and blue mop heads that just velcro on and it comes with a long handle. Easiest device out there. Got it at Home Depot.

Windex also cleans great, but they say it can harm the finish because of the ammonia. But it does cleam laminate floors better than anything I've ever seen.

I use vinegar and warm water only. I used cleaners and it put a haze on the floor. I thought at first that the vinegar and water didnt work well but if you keep using it it works well. I wet mop and then dry the mop off with a hand towel under the swifter mop.

I agree with the vinegar and water. The other cleaners leave a film that just shows off the traffic marks. The vinegar stinks for a little bit and then evaportes and leaves the floor with a beautiful shine.

You can keep the swifter. If you use a pair of pliers you can removed the top of the bottle. I agree with the others, refill it with a mixture of vinegar and water, you may have to scrub really hard the first time to get the footprints out.

Hi Steve, a couple of years ago, we got laminate flooring for our kitchen and dining room, the company and installers advised me to use only white vinegar and water 1/2 and 1/2 mixture in a spray bottle, and that's all I've ever used on it. I use an old swifter dry mop with a double thick layer of paper towel attached, for easy clean up.

Johnsons no buff and wax is what you need. Do not, I repeat do not use a sponge mop. Use a soft cloth or an actual mop for applying cleaner. This stuff is great.