Write "Magic" Messages on Eggs

Mix a solution of white vinegar and alum (8:1 ratio). Alum can be found in the spice section. Using a small craft paintbrush, write your message(s) on the shells of eggs. Boil eggs to hard. The writing will appear on the whites of the eggs when they are shelled.

By Laura from Long Beach, CA

Hi, I heard that if you do this project, it will be poisonous if somebody eat it. Its a good system to send a secret message with this eggs, but it is dangerous. So, I would like to hear more from this, if it is not true.

Editor's Note We did a little research and found two sites, one that said that you should not eat them, the other said it was fine.

Here is more info on alum

Edible play dough:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Kids-Fun-Re ... Playdough_W0QQugidZ10000000001384975

Alum in pickles:

It never bothered me or my kids, but I would recommend you check with your doctor just to be sure.

A way to have "messages" show up on your eggs without worrying about posioning anyone (although it's not totally secret) is simply to write messages on the hard-boiled eggs with crayons before you dye them. The dye will not stick to the crayon. My kids always loved doing this, they would write their names and draw hearts and flowers and such on their egss and different colors of crayon mixed with different colors of dye made for different effects. Happy Easter!

Better then all this , ever since I was a child my Mom used a white crayon to write and draw on the eggs. You write on the eggs first , then dip in your dye.

Once you dye them the names and designs appear as the dye won't stick where the crayon is. I think this would be a lot easier and safer to use.

I'm from Japan. I tried this trick. But I've not become successful yet. Could you tell me which Alum was used. Also I would like to know what color of the message on the boiled egg.

small bottle of alum
Uses for Alum
Food and Recipes Food Tips EggsMarch 21, 2008
Scrambled eggs are too watery.
Watery Scrambled Eggs
star shaped magic wand
Magic Wand Crafts
Marking Hard Boiled Eggs
Marking Hard Boiled Eggs
Mr. Clean Magic Erasers
Cleaning With Mr. Clean Magic Erasers