Storing Powdered Milk

Fill an ice cream pail with dry milk and put a 2/3 cup sized measuring cup in the pail. It takes four scoops of the 2/3 cup measuring cup (equals 2 2/3 cup) to make a 2 qt. pitcher of milk. It is a lot less messy to measure it out from a plastic pail than measuring it by pouring it from the box. And having the right sized measuring cup scoop makes reconstituting it easy.

Other advantages of dry milk are that it is about half the price of fresh milk. It is fat free so it doesn't add cholesterol from butterfat to your diet.

By Judy from North Dakota

Where I live in New England real milk must be a lot cheaper than the rest of the country? A box of generic powder is almost $5.00, Which makes 2 gallons of a horrible tasting mess, while I can buy 2 gallons of 2%, or even cheaper 1% for about the same price, or less. Why would I choose powder over the real deal? I know as a kid people would mix a powder milk with the whole to save money. I have to wonder if this still works today?

I know some bread recipes call for powder milk etc. Powder milk for me is really an emergency staple, which i seldom use.