Using Powdered Milk

Category Dairy
Powdered milk is a less expensive alternative to fresh milk and is sometimes called out specifically in recipes. This is a guide about using powdered milk.

For the past several months, I have been buying organic milk, which is more expensive then non organic milk. Since I use milk in many of my recipes, gravy, baking and sauces, I now buy the least expensive dry milk available and keep it on hand for everything else.

There is no difference in texture or taste when used in baking, sauces and gravy. I keep the more expensive store-bought milk for drinking and to use on cereals only. The dry milk is good to have on hand. I find the container with the pour spout is less expensive then the packets and easier to measure exactly what I need.

By Bobbie from Rockwall, TX

Coffee creamer that is actually good for you. Use non fat dry milk as coffee creamer. There is no need to pre-mix dry milk with water, just use it as is. You can use as much as you like, without the fat. Your coffee will taste just as good as coffee creamers that have questionable additives like high fructose corn syrup. Canned "no fat milk" is also good, but it is more expensive. If you're big on coffee, like me, this will also help keep off the pounds. Enjoy!

By suzyspinkmoon from Clinton, TN

Fill an ice cream pail with dry milk and put a 2/3 cup sized measuring cup in the pail. It takes four scoops of the 2/3 cup measuring cup (equals 2 2/3 cup) to make a 2 qt. pitcher of milk. It is a lot less messy to measure it out from a plastic pail than measuring it by pouring it from the box. And having the right sized measuring cup scoop makes reconstituting it easy.

Other advantages of dry milk are that it is about half the price of fresh milk. It is fat free so it doesn't add cholesterol from butterfat to your diet.

By Judy from North Dakota

One way to save money on milk is to either use powdered milk instead or to at least substitute it in recipes where the different taste is not detectable. This is a guide about save money using powdered milk.

Powdered Milk

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about stretching fresh milk. Sometimes, you have less milk left than you need for a specific recipe or purpose.

A bottle of fresh milk.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making powdered milk taste better. Using powdered milk can help you save money. It is also a good backup when you run out of regular milk. But powdered milk does not always taste as good to most of us.

Collection of dried and canned foods including box of powdered milk.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

You don't like 1% or 2% milk? Add 1-2 Tbsp. of powdered milk. This will add the whole-milk flavor without the fat.

By Cajun62234 from Collinsville, IL

I have several bags of powdered milk. My family does not really care to drink it so I am looking for ideas on how to use it. Thanks a bunch to all who can offer some suggestions!

Ashley from Heart of Amish Country, PA

Answers

I add it to peanut butter chocolate chip energy bars for extra protein. I based my recipe on a biscotti recipe, aiming for something like a Clif bar. They tend to be a little dry because I keep the oil/butter low, but they're really good for bike trips. You probably could slip it into brownies, quiche, lasagna, lots of baked things.

You can use the powdered milk in any recipes that call for milk. Just mix what you need. You cannot tell the difference when used in cooking. It has a long shelf life, so as long as you keep it in an airtight container, it should keep for sometime.

You might also want to try mixing it half and half with fresh milk. Your family may not be able to tell.

MAKE HOT COCOA. MIX DRY INGREDIANTS:DRY MILK, COCOA & SUGAR. PUT THE MIXTURE INTO SMALL JARS AND EMBELLISH & GIVE AS GIFTS TO THE POSTMAN, TEACHERS, ETC. JUST ADD A NOTE TO MIX WELL & ADD HOT WATER

Thank you SO very much for the ideas.....I GREATLY appreciate all of you help!:) I would love to have the recipes for the cocoa mix and the energy bars....what great gifts these would make....Thanks a bunch! ~Ashley

USE IT TO MAKE FLAVORED CREAMERS FOR COFFEE

Protein Balls

These small bits of energy are delicious, addicting and good for you!

1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
3/4 cup nonfat milk powder
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup crushed cereal, such as Honey Bunches of Oats

One or two of the following:
1/3 cup raisins
1/3 cup Craisins
1/3 cup sunflower nuts
1/3 cup chocolate chips

Combine peanut butter, milkk powder, flaxseed, honey in a bowl and mix well. Stir in sunflower nuts and Craisins,
2. Roll mixture in small bowls and then roll balls in crushed cereal. Place on waxed paper.
3. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.

Prep time: 15 minutes / Chill time: 1 hour / Makes 16 balls.

Go to the USDA web site. They have a whole cook book with powdered milk recipes, including how to make your own margarine!

Powdered milk makes the best biscuits! Just add it to the flour. I also like to use it when I make smoothies. I have mixed it with store bought milk, the flavor is better when chilled in the refrigerator.
Here isa recipe that your family may like, especially if you have younger ones. They may enjoy making their own Tootsie Rolls!

Tootsie Rolls
2 tablespoons butter, softened (or margarine)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup dry milk powder
1/2 cup white corn syrup

DIRECTIONS:
Mix all ingredients together. Knead like you would for bread. Roll into rope shapes and cut into desired lengths. If too soft, add more powdered milk or cocoa powder and adjust to your taste.

Make Peanut butter play doh!
If nobody is allergic to nuts here is a great recipe!

PEANUT BUTTER PLAY-DOH

2 c. peanut butter
2 c. powdered milk
1 c. honey, or corn syrup

Mix all together. Give your child a cookie sheet and play-doh and watch the fun begin! Kids can knead it and make sculptures out of it and then eat it, too!

Look on this site. Some of the recipes look great. Even Cheesecake!

http://www.morm  powderedmilk.asp

We really like this recipe which uses powdered milk:

Homemade Cottage Cheese

4 cups powdered milk
1 cup buttermilk
3 quarts warm water

Mix well. Using the same container you will be putting on the stove. Sour milk until well clabbored ( about 4 days). Put container over VERY LOW heat until warm ( just hot enough to prevent you from keeping your finger in it, but DO NOT BOIL. Cut curds into quarters and flip over with a spoon. Let set in the whey with the heat off for 1/2 hour or longer. Drain in colander with a cheese cloth spread over colander first. Let sit to drain well. This can be used in any regular recipe calling for dry cottage cheese. We also like it mixed with cream, cut-up onion, salt and pepper--all to taste.

Hi,

When I am able to get powdered milk cheap, I mix it with coffee creamer, half and half, I pour an amount equal to one empty container of creamer, and add an equal amount of creamer then mix. I usually do this on newspaper or wax paper to funnel it back in and mark the container that they are mixed in.

I would like to hear from ladies who use powdered milk and what you usually pay for a pound. Here in California, it is $4.50 a pound. This is from a bulk bin at a discount grocery. This seems high to me. How much milk do you get from a pound? All the recipes I see go by cups. The price of milk is so high I want to switch but I don't know if it is worth changing. Milk is $3.20 a gallon for comparison.

Joy from Visalia

Editor's Note: A pound of dry milk is approximately 4 cups.

I have recently found myself with an amazing amount of dried milk. Being a person who believes that any food can be used, I am on a quest for Christmas gifts I can make with dried milk. I believe I have exhausted the hot chocolate or mocha recipes gifts. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks and God Bless-

Beverley

Answers

Hi,
I'm a diabetic and love coffee creamer. Coffee creamer is full of sugar products. I tried pure dried milk first but it clumped, then I tried cutting it with half of each, then I tried about one forth creamer and three forths dried milk. That works very well. I fill up extra bottles when I make a batch. I figure I can use a lot in my coffee and not feel guilty, and I'm getting calcium more now since I don't drink milk.
I know this isn't a Christmas hint but thought you might like it since you have so much.
When I ran out I ended up buying more at Sam's Club, that was the cheapest I could get.

Check out the achives on this website as thier are some great bath salt recipes using dried milk. Milk leaves the skin feeling soft and silky and if you add a few drops of chocolate essential oil it is like taking a bath in chocolate.

Most bread machine recipes use dried milk. My guess is that recipients with bread machines would enjoy ready to go bread mixes

I'm sorry I cant remember where I saw this recipe, so I don't have the measurements, but you can mix it with powdered cheese (at most groceries in bulk), to make a mac-n-cheese sauce, or possibly with parmesean to make a white sauce.

A short search on google for "jar recipes" or "jar gifts" brings you tons of sites that have delicious drinks for Chrsitmas gift giving. I made some this year that were great! (of course I had to sample them first) ;)

Read once it is very good to bath in.....make a Cleopatra bathhamper for ladies.

Anonymous

There are homemade soap recipes that use dried milk also.

Hi

Here is a great recipe for Cream of Anything soup which uses dried nonfat skim powedered milk... And if your dried milk is full cream, it wouldn't matter either.

Healthy Cream of Soup/Casserole Sauce Mix
(Use instead of canned cream soup)

2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
3/4 cup cornstarch or clear gel
1/4 cup instant reduced sodium chicken or beef bouillon granules
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed thyme (optional)
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed basil (optional)
1/4 teaspoon ground white or black pepper

Directions: Combine ingredients. Store in an airtight container.

To prepare as a substitute for one can of condensed cream soup in recipes, stir together 1/3 cup dry mix and 1 1/4 cup water in a saucepan or microwave cooking dish. Cook and stir until thickened. Mix makes the equivalent of nine cans condensed soup.

As you plan your company dishes for this holiday season, why don't you mix up a batch of casserole sauce mix and cook up a healthy holiday meal. By sharing your healthy version of the family's favorite dishes, you just might encourage other family members to try the casserole sauce mix too. Of course, you could always mix up a batch and give it as a gift using a recipe card as a gift tag.

By the way, I didn't use the pepper in my batch because my children don't like pepper in anything...

THis is what was saved in my email recipe folder. I should actually save it on my hard drive, but with so many weeks until Christmas, it's not going to happen.

Hope this helps.

Bev in Australia

I have a container of skim milk powder, but no instructions of how to reconstitute it. Can anyone give me a rule of thumb?
Cheers.

By Chantal from Queensland, Australia

Is non-fat dry milk the same as skim milk powder?

Ellen from CA