Stretching Fresh Milk

Category Dairy
Sometimes, you have less milk left than you need for a specific recipe or purpose. This is a guide about stretching fresh milk.

To make milk stretch further, I use both regular (refrigerated fresh) milk and powdered milk. My family did not like the taste of powdered milk alone, so I split a gallon of fresh milk in half (best way is to take an empty milk jug and pour from the full one until you think it is half, then set them side by side on the counter and check), and use half fresh milk and half powdered milk.

This will make one gallon of milk stretch to two gallons much cheaper. This works really good if you have several children, or a big family (I do). When I use half fresh and half powdered milk it tastes much better than just powdered milk, and your milk will go a long way.

By C B

To stretch milk, I have mixed up powdered milk and added it to the regular milk. Instead of 1 gallon, I had 2 and, since they were mixed together, no one was the wiser.

I have also frozen milk in ice cube trays, when I wanted milk for tea or coffee, I just added a cube. No waste, and the milk did not sour on me.

By Debbi from Blairsville, PA

To make skim milk taste like Skim Plus, which is about double the price, add nonfat dry milk. For a half-gallon of skim milk, add a half packet (1/2 cup) of nonfat dry milk to a cup of nonfat milk. Microwave it for a few seconds to dissolve the solids well, and then add it back to the container.

By Gary from Fair Lawn, NJ