Stretching Fresh Milk

To make milk stretch further, I use both regular (refrigerated fresh) milk and powdered milk. My family did not like the taste of powdered milk alone, so I split a gallon of fresh milk in half (best way is to take an empty milk jug and pour from the full one until you think it is half, then set them side by side on the counter and check), and use half fresh milk and half powdered milk.

This will make one gallon of milk stretch to two gallons much cheaper. This works really good if you have several children, or a big family (I do). When I use half fresh and half powdered milk it tastes much better than just powdered milk, and your milk will go a long way.

By C B

By C Tewksbury (Guest Post)

Powdered milk is better than it used to be . They aren't all the same keep trying until you find the one you really like. A glass pitcher keeps it really cold. The colder it is the better it tastes.

My mother did this when I was a kid back in the '50's. Money was tight, and this was a great way to stretch it a little. She also kept some (just) powdered milk made up that she used in cooking - no one ever noticed the difference.

Also, in a pinch powdered milk tastes much better if it is very, very cold - just stick it in the freezer until it is frosty.

We recently started using powdered milk, and secretly switched it for fresh without telling the kids. They did not notice the difference! We'll probably keep it a secret for a few more weeks, and then let them know.

By melissa <>< (Guest Post)

Found this great site lots of milk stretching ideas....
http://hillbill  powderedmilk.htm

I did this when my kids were younger. I mixed powdered milk with fresh milk and they never knew whether they were drinking totally fresh or mixed. I know they never knew because they would sometimes say "This is mixed milk!" when it wasn't and say the same thing when it was.

This proved they never knew which was which and it didn't stop them from drinking just as much which I promoted because of the health and teeth benefits. My kids never had cavities when they were growing up. Of course brushing and flouride in the water helped also.