Use Dry Milk for Cooking

For the past several months, I have been buying organic milk, which is more expensive then non organic milk. Since I use milk in many of my recipes, gravy, baking and sauces, I now buy the least expensive dry milk available and keep it on hand for everything else.

There is no difference in texture or taste when used in baking, sauces and gravy. I keep the more expensive store-bought milk for drinking and to use on cereals only. The dry milk is good to have on hand. I find the container with the pour spout is less expensive then the packets and easier to measure exactly what I need.

By Bobbie from Rockwall, TX

I do the same. None of us drink milk, and so much goes to waste (plus gas and time) when a special store trip is made. Sometimes I'll add a little yoghurt (plain) or sour cream.....but I'll taste a little in a little of the sauce, before I put it in the whole thing. With baking I always use dry milk unless I'm testing a recipe for some reason.

I don't like drinking milk but I love milk powder. I especially like sprinkling it over foods to add some creaminess. I'm not just talking about the texture, but also the flavor. It adds a unique flavor, somewhere in between sweet and salty, that I love. I can't wait to sprinkle it on popcorn, in place of butter. The great thing about milk powder is that you can use it concentrated (which I love) or diluted as normal milk. I generally use half the water recommended for that extra creamy taste. It's more expensive than using the full amount of water but because it's fat free, it's still healthier than normal milk.

Where I live, dry milk costs more than prepared milk. You might want to check the price of it and compare quart for quart.

Is the powdered milk organic? If not why do you use it if you buy fresh organic milk to drink? I only buy organic products but I wouldn't use the powdered milk if it wasn't.

After frequently throwing out milk that went bad, I switched to powdered dry milk. It is always handy and when you make it, do it the day before and keep in refrig. to use the next day.

While you're keeping your dry milk on hand, remember that it too has an expiration date. Although it does have a lot longer shelf life than prepared milk. I also keep the dry on hand for cooking. For some foods I will make the dry milk up a bit stronger than regular milk, thus making my food more creamy.

Use dry milk for Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk

This substitute for canned sweetened condensed milk is made by blending water, butter, sugar, and dry milk.

Saves considerable money, and probably that extra trip to the grocery store.

3/4 cup boiling water
 6 tbsp butter
 1 cup white sugar
 2-2/3 cups nonfat dry milk powder

Combine water, butter, sugar and milk powder in a blender and blend until thickened, 2 minutes.

Store in refrigerator.

Yield: approx. 2-1/4 cups.

Money is tight and milk is expensive! I have started using powdered milk in all of my recipes. I just mix enough for the recipe so nothing will go bad (and waste more money!) The kids don't like to drink powdered milk but can't tell the difference when I incorporate it into my baking and cooking. So a gallon of milk lasts twice as long now!

By Christine from Spanaway, WA

Answers:

Substitute Powdered Milk Instead of Fresh When Cooking

Another good idea is to mix powered milk and regular milk 1/2 and 1/2. My mom used to get powdered milk as part of her state grocery allowance, and we never knew the difference... (03/24/2008)

By Tracy In NH

I also use powdered milk. When you buy it and use it right away, it's fresh. Make it up and drink it. It tastes the same as skim milk. Make sure it's good and cold before you drink it. We use it all the time when we run out of milk, but as I said you can't keep the dry milk. You need to use it.

I traded online for three cookbooks by JoAnna M. Lund. She suggests you use dry milk when you cook because you can add extra powder and make your dish have extra calcium. This is especially good if you have children who don't like to drink milk or people who have osteoporosis.

Thanks for your wonderful suggestion.

(03/25/2008)

By Carol in PA

Foremost makes or used to make a creamy instant milk called Milkman. That worked well if it was really chilled. I use dry milk for all milk applications except pastry cream and such. Mashed potatoes and cream gravies work just as well with instant milk. The half and half (instant and reg. seems to work best when the regular is full cream instead of 2%. (03/25/2008)

By tennesue

My dh can't stand powdered milk (so he says). I use it all the time in my baking. I also used it to make my sausage gravy for biscuits and gravy, and he said it was the best gravy he has ever had (go figure, lol). (03/26/2008)

By jmz2005

I use powdered milk for my homemade pancake recipe and they turn out so fluffy! Thanks everybody for all of these ideas! (10/15/2008)

By thiftymom