SeedsGardening

Plastic Cups for Seed Starts

Several weeks ago I planted a variety of vegetable seeds for my garden. I now have several trays of seedlings that need to move to a bigger pot but it is too early to put them in the garden. After using up all my saved 4 inch pots and various yogurt, sour cream and cottage cheese containers I still have a couple hundred seedlings that need a bigger home.

I went to Walmart to see if they had any cheap pots. Nope, nothing unless I was willing to spend $1 per pot. Then I walked by a stack of plastic picnic cups, bingo! I sprang for the sturdier version and spent $3 for 60 cups. I'll put holes in the bottom and these will make great pots that can be reused each year.

By Kristy from Forest Grove, OR

These work so well. I stopped using peat pots years ago after using plastic drinking cups and we're still using the first case of 1,000. After transplanting the seedlings, I wash the cups out and string them on twine, hanging them in my garden shed to store. I've only lost one of the cups when I stepped on it by accident.

I also save the plastic cups from yogurt and such. We can get a lot of use out of those throw away things!

I paid about $20 for a case of over 1,000, 12 ounce plastic drinking cups. We plant 3 season vegetable gardens, so you can see that we've gotten a lot of use out of those throw away cups!

When you want to get your seeds started early for the spring planting save the plastic drink cups from the fast food places that use plastic like Taco Bell and White Castle. I saved some for my granddaughter and she said they worked wonderfully and didn't cost her a thing. If they are too tall they are easily cut to the size you want them to be. These cups are great seed starter pots.

By Carol from Huber Heights, OH

Answers:

Saving Plastic Cups for Seed Starts

Yes, this idea came to me just this year so I punched a few holes in the bottoms for drainage. Now I am waiting to see if this is just as effective as those other 'pots'. :-)
(03/06/2006)

ByHook Family - USA