Growing Hydrangea from Seed

Category Seeds
These beautiful shrubs can be started from seed. This guide is about growing hydrangea from seed.

What do hydrangea seeds look like when they first sprout? I planted some hydrangea seeds, and have been waiting patiently for them to sprout. I have noticed some white spots in the tray where I planted them. But am not sure if it's the hydrangea spout or not. It seems to be at a stand still right on top of the soil. If it is the hydrangea, they have stopped growing or grow very slowly. Can anyone help? I am new at this. Thanks.

Jacqueline

Answers

Best Answer

if you're starting from seed you have to start it in porous potting soil like vermiculite, watering before planting the seeds and then then putting plastic wrap over it, and covering up again with saran wrap after planting the seeds. As can be seen, it needs a humid environment to grow.

Then make sure they get lots of light but do not put them in direct sunlight - these plants as a rule are not direct sun plants and grow best in semi shade so as seedlings it's the same

So, enough moisture + enough light but not direct should be a good thing

attaching a photo of a hydrangea seedling, from this person's blog, who seems to be having a whale of a time getting plants to grow from seeds: missnotsogreenthumb.blogspot.com/.../

Can I grow hydrangea seeds indoors starting now (July 30)? I have seeds and want to let them grow indoors until next spring. I live in zone 6a.

By Pat A.

Answers

I couldn't find much information for you. I did find that seed should be sown in Spring in a greenhouse or cold frame. Also, if your seed are from a garden variety rather than a wild species, you should not expect them to come true to type.

I don't think a greenhouse or cold frame would be absolutely necessary.

I found more info for you.

Growing hydrangea from seed is easy, rewarding, and advisable if we are going to preserve the genetic diversity of the species. Seeds mature two to three months after the fertile flowers' senescence. They may be sown immediately. Dry storage is not necessary. Viability, however, is not diminished by it. Germination takes 10 and 14 days. Sow the seeds in flats and place them out of doors .

Credits:
http://www.hydr  propagation.html

Keith E. H.

How many seeds should I plant in a pot with a diameter of 20 centimeters? Thanks.

By Tu N.

Answers

I would plant 4. As they grow, you then thin (weed) out the weaker ones.

Always plant 2 and cut off the weaker one.

What type of soil is best for starting hydrangeas from seed?

By DJ

Answers

www.hunker.com/.../how-to-grow-hydrangea-seeds

This site gives the best info. Don't be like me and skip on the soil phase, as this is part of why I failed.

I learned my lesson....invest in good soil to start and you will have lovely plants!

Good luck!

Use a soiless mix, available at garden stores.