Getting Rid of Mushrooms Behind Dishwasher

How can I kill mushrooms growing behind my built in dishwasher?

By Karen from Owatonna, MN

Mushrooms mean mold. Mold grows in moisture. You probably have a leak or it's damp there due to rotted boards or something else.

I think it may be more of a problem than just killing a mushroom. A year ago I had my front door and frame removed and replaced with a new door. About 6 months later I noticed mushrooms growing in the space between the door sill and the rug. By the time the installer returned to check out the problem the floor under the rug had rotten and mold had formed on the underside of the floor in the cellar. The door had to be removed, the rug taken up, the sub floor replaced as well as the some of the 2 x 4s that the wall is built on. Then everything had to be replaced and done so it will not happen again. Took two days to make the repairs. Before I knew how extensive the damage was I thought it would be a simple job just to kill the mushrooms. I tried a lot of products, bleach, alcohol, stain killers, and solvents. Mushrooms always grew back. I would have some one take a closer look to see why they are growing. Dampness would be one answer from the dishwasher.

I agree with OliveOyl and foxrun41, where there is mold, there is a water problem. It could be from a dishwasher leak or a leak under the sink. If those 2 things are OK, you could have a window or roof that are leaking with water running down inside the wall.

First you have to find the source of the leak and fix it, then you should pull out the dishwasher, removed any moldy drywall, then check the wood structure underneath to see if it is rotted. That might need to be replaced. You can kill mold inside the wall with bleach water. Let the area dry out well before replacing the drywall.

Home and Garden Repair Home MiscellaneousNovember 9, 2010
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Freezing Mushrooms
Freezing Mushrooms
Large Jar of Canned Mushrooms
Canning Mushrooms
Mushrooms cooking in a skillet.
Sauteing Mushrooms