Grease Stain on Suede

I placed my brand new suede handbag on the floor of a theater, a greasy spoon restaurant and at the end of the day there were several grease stains on the bottom. I don't know what to do. I'm afraid of making it worse by using the wrong products.

By Harriet from Albany, NY

Best Answer

I would first set the stained bottom on a thick layer of cornstarch. After awhile pick it up and brush off the cornstarch with a stiff little brush perhaps a dry toothbrush. Do this numerous times giving the cornstarch ample opportunity to absorb the grease.

If it were mine, I'd use laundry Twenty Mule Team Borax and rub it is extremely well but not so well as to rub the nap off the suede. You may have to buy a suede brunch after it soaks into the Borax to brush the nap back into suede.

I use it for a number of things and find it does a good job. I'd avoid using water at all costs because it will make the spots stiff when dry. I'm assuming the color is med to dark. If light, you may have an ongoing problem with stains of all sorts. Perhaps you can determine if it's real suede or man made. If real, it might take a waterproofing spray from a shoe repair store to repel future stains? If man made do NOT use any waterproofing because it has silicon in it and can damage man made products. God bless and help you.

I believe that the appropriate substance is called Fullers Clay, and it will absorb the grease. Washing suede is darn near impossible, but if you go to a shoe or leather shop and explain the problem, they should be able to fix you right up. Good luck!

Pair of men's suede boots in hall
Cleaning Grease Stains on Suede
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsNovember 3, 2009
Suede Couch
Cleaning Cat Urine From Suede
grease stain on carpet
Cleaning Grease Stains on Carpet
Blue Suede Shoes
Removing Mildew on Suede
cleaning grease off wallpaper
Cleaning Grease Off Wallpaper
🎄