Using Paper Pulp in a Mold

I've printed off and plan to use your instructions for making paper you can plant. I'm planning to use this for a project for my niece's wedding- here's my question-

Can I use the pulp (once screened and squeezed) to place into a mold (snowflake) for ornaments to give as favors? How long should I leave the pulp in the mold before "dumping" to dry thoroughly? Any information you may be able to offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Lori from Duncannon, PA

You want to work with the liquid/blended pulp for this. Don't squeeze it yet -that will come later.

Place a few layers of paper towel on work surface (a Formica counter works great and will give you one smooth side) Place an open ended cookie cutter on paper towel and fill with a small amount of pulp. (You do not want the cutter to be filled clear to the top) Then with your fingers push the pulp so the inside of the cutter is completely filled. (The water in the pulp will help) With your fingers press the pulp down until it is compacted. Careful remove the cookie cutter and you should still have your shape. Take more paper towels and cover your shape and press down (a flat plate or can works well for this. This is to absorb as much water out of the image as possible. It will also make the shape flatter and a little larger. After your are through pressing as much water as you can, carefully peel the shape off the wet paper towel and place it on a dry one to dry. (you can repeat the pressing process with dry towels if needed).

Sounds like a nice idea - good luck with it!

I made snowflake ornaments just like that one Christmas. You want to drain some of the water out--you don't want soup. I had added glitter glue to the pulp mixture to help bind it some, and to add some sparkle. For snowflakes, use white copy-type paper, without a lot of text or pictures. Press the pulp into the mold (I used a candy mold), trying to press out any air bubbles. If you want to be able to hang them, fill the mold most of the way, put a small loop of string near the top, then fill the rest of the way. My candy molds were small enough that I just let them dry all the way in the mold. Any nice, dry place will do. Mine came out great, but you may need to trim a little on the edges. These are great ornaments for miniature trees, as they are super light weight.

You can also make colored ornaments, just by using colored paper. A sheet of colored paper will go a long way in paper pulp. Just about any candy molds make cute ornaments.

Camilla

Did I misread your question? I thought you wanted to make paper you could "plant," as in "putting seeds into the paper" so you'd be able to grow flowers later from the snowflakes. I've never made these, but think you'd have to squeeze most of the water out and use thick skinned seeds so they wouldn't begin to sprout. I received some as a gift from a company once. They were made just flat (no mold was used), were shapes cut out like from traced cookie cutters (mine were flowers), and were different colors--a couple were yellow, one was pink, one was lavendar, and the last was a light blue. I hope they work out for you. I think this is a great idea for favors, a bit time consuming, but cheap. By the way, don't use your good blender to pulverize the paper. You'll dull the blades quickly.

Has anyone actually planted these? Just wondering if the seeds are still viable after molding this way. How long do they take to dry?

Crafts PaperOctober 11, 2007
Uses for Juicer Pulp
Uses for Juicer Pulp
Preventing Mold On Berries, Moldy Strawberry
Preventing Mold On Fresh Berries
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Fresh squeezed orange juice.
Removing Seeds and Pulp From Orange Juice
🎄