US StatesTravel Guides

Travel Tips for Sugar Creek, OH

I want to visit Sugar Creek, Ohio to the Amish Country. Has anyone been there and can tell me what they enjoyed doing or seeing? We plan to visit there in September.

Thank you,
Linda from Mount Morris PA

<script src="http://maps.google.com/maps?file=api&v=2&key=ABQIAAAAOtrvCYSi7qCP_AkhHjgB6RSvWrji9eQOd6fMy2CM86LxEnZswhT3N_dFN7r1c0BYt09RIlpn_fV5Jw"

type="text/javascript"></script>

<script type="text/javascript">

//<![CDATA[

function load() {

if (GBrowserIsCompatible()) {

var map = new GMap2(document.getElementById("map"));

map.addControl(new GSmallMapControl());

map.addControl(new GMapTypeControl());

map.setCenter(new GLatLng(37.0625,-95.677068), 13);

}

}

//]]>

</script>

The downtown is all done in swiss decore. The dairy has a skiier who goes across the front and the bank a train. there is a museum right along the main street. There are many restaurants from the Swiss hat ...drug store type to Fancy Amish type. They hold a townsied Swiss festival the last weekend of Sept every year. IT is a big deal. I live an hour or so away and groups go from here all the time. there are many many chesse houses, gift shops etc all along rt 39...If you are in Dover (next town over) The Warther museum is a must. Hand carved working models, quality knives inspired from the carving, beautiful grounds with real train caboose etc. The whole area down there is geared for tourist. Maybe there is more on Google? Claudia

Sugar Creek is a pretty place. Most of Amish Country is beautiful. Simple, rolling hills, and in the fall it's even more beautiful.

Unfortunately, Sugar Creek, like most of the Ohio Amish Country, has become a tourist trap. What we discovered is that all the shops carry the same things, just different prices. Plus most of the products are made in china.

Since you are going in September, just a short drive north to Canal Fulton will take you to a wonderful event; Yankee Peddler. go to http://www.yank … dlerfestival.com for more information. It is set in the woods and there are homemade crafts, home cooked pioneer foods. everyone is dressed in clothing from time period. It's just a wonderful event and it lasts 3 weekends in September.

enjoy!! Paula

I was just there, today, driving an Old Order Amish couple to a variety store trade show. If you want a unique experience, go to Kidron to the Layman's Hardware Store. They have the most extensive supply of non-electric items you can imagine!! You wouldn't believe all the things you find, there, from toilets to ovens, to refrigerators. Across the road is a little mall that sells bulk food and there is a mission store that you just can't miss.

Don't forget Berlin and Mount Hope. Heini's Cheese lets you sample dozens of kind of Amish made cheese and has a glassed in cheese making factory where you can see the cheese actually being made.

If you would like to email me, my addy is: jonminard (at) ecr.net I drive many of the Old Order Amish every day. If I don't know, my husband will! He is a geography nut and knows all the stops to make.

I know you will have a wonderful time on your tour.