Browsing: Roasted Turkey Recipes

Baste a Turkey With Cheesecloth

Cover a turkey with cheesecloth soaked in melted butter or olive oil, and it will baste itself! Remove it during the last 30 minutes of baking to let the skin get brown.

By Robin

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

I found this is the best way to roast chicken or turkey. As you said, no basting is necessary. Since you don't have to open the oven door, the turkey actually roasts faster. The oven loses a lot of heat when the oven door is opened during basting. I found this tip in my mother's 1928 cookbook along with a fast way to catch, kill, de-feather, clean and roast the bird. I'm sure glad I didn't have to use all that information. Another way I roast a chicken or turkey is to place it breast down in the pan, along with the cheesecloth. I never have dry white meat.

One Thanksgiving, our teenage son, who worked on a farm, did in fact catch, kill, de-feather and clean a turkey with the help of the farmer. The only thing he didn't do was cook it. It was the best turkey we ever had.

I've roasted turkey with a covering of cheesecloth using a think coating of shortning, but each time, the turkey skin stuck to the cheesecloth. Does anyone know any way to prevent this?

ROBIN,

YOU ARE AN EXPERT ON COOKING, I AM TRYING TO FIND A RECIPE FOR "CRUSTLESS PUMPKIN PIE " I WANT TO MAKE IT FOR THANKSGIVING ,LESS CALORIES. MY E-MAIL ADDRESS IS : GEEEZERSRUS @ AOL.COM (remove spaces) THANK YOU OR ANYONE WHO CAN HELP ME

Will try the basting with cheesecloth. My hubby cooks a turkey this way: breast down so the juices from the dark meat moisten the bird. No basting is necessary (saves on calories and extra fat),...also if stuffing the turkey; make a bag of cheesecloth; put stuffing in bag and place in turkey cavity. Will cook along with turkey and is easy to "pull out"...no danger of food poisoning.

Miranda

Aunt Em: the Bisquick website has a very good recipe for a crustless pumpkin pie. I`ve made it and it`s really good! Miranda

Here's a recipe we have here at ThriftyFun

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf242066.tip.html

Turkey in a roasting pan.
Roasted Turkey Recipes
Holidays and Parties Thanksgiving Cooking TipsNovember 20, 2004
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
making a turkey breast
Cooking a Perfect Turkey Breast
A cooked turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in a Slow Cooker (Crockpot)
Carving a Turkey
Using Your Turkey Bones for Soup
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 28, 2016 at 6:15:51 PM on 10.0.2.107 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.