Planting Suggestions for Winter Vegetables and Herbs

I had a small home vegetable/herb garden for the kitchen that was started with our church group. The garden was quite successful, with cabbage, cauliflower, beans, and broccoli, as well as, various herbs and salad vegetables (cherry tomatoes, lettuce, rocket, etc.).

l have now expanded it from a 1x3metre patch into an additional L-shaped 2 metres. It is the start of our rainy winter season. l need ideas for what to plant that can show progress, especially since it is my turn to host on the second Saturday in June. l still have some chives and sweet basil left, but little else. Any ideas?

By Michael

Nice garden bed! What you can grow really depends on the climate where you are, but some hardy lettuce, spinach, or certain radishes might go in now. Looking ahead you might also make some autumn sowings of broad beans or peas for next year. I don't know if it's too late to sow cabbage or spring greens but you could look into that as well, or possibly your local garden centre might have some plants.

Your best bet though is to ask around at a garden centre to find out what does well in your area and what varieties to choose.

Thanx Tapestry Lady, I've been too busy to follow up immediately on your response, but it is greatly appreciated. Our garden group is going very well and we are all excited about forming a barter system amongst ourselves. I will keep the site informed.

Home and Garden Gardening VegetablesMay 10, 2011
dried spices
How Long Do Dried Herbs and Spices Last?
Drying and Storing Herbs
Drying Herbs
Growing carrots and other vegetables.
Planting Vegetables Together
Herbs
Freezing Herbs
🎉
🎄