Planting an Avocado Tree Outside

Category Fruit Trees
If you don't live in a warmer winter climate then it might be best to plant your avocado tree in a pot that can be moved inside during the winter. Otherwise, in the proper climate follow the planting instructions with attention to light and soil requirements. This is a page about planting an avocado tree outside.

My avocado tree has grown to about 3 1/2 feet from the pit. I have had it in the house in a window since starting it, probably 2 or 3 years ago. I want to move it outside either in a larger pot or in the ground. I am in zone 7 or 8 in North Carolina. Can it survive being out doors?

Answers

Best Answer

There are 3 different kinds of avocado trees and each can take different degrees of cold weather but since you are growing your tree from a seed I'm sure you do not know what kind of tree you have. That means you should stick with the least cold hardy type tree information just to be safe.

I believe you would be taking a chance on losing your tree if planted in the ground so I would recommend planting it in a pot that can be moved inside.

You can always contact a master gardener in your area and ask them for advice since they are familiar with your climate.

Here is a link to locate a master grander in your area.

ahsgardening.org/.../master-gardeners

Best Answer

If you are in zone 7 in North Carolina, you may have experienced the 3 degree temperature we had last Winter. Your avocado tree certainly will not survive such extreme cold. It will not survive freezing temperatures, at all.

If you planted it outside in the ground and it did survive; it would reach a height of about 20 feet or more. Keeping the tree in a container will restrict its growth to about 7-8 feet.

It may be best to keep the tree in a container and move the container to a sunlit porch or deck during the warmer months.

I have a avocado tree that I babied all winter long. It survived and it got to be 4 feet tall. I got this man to put it in the ground for me. I don't know any better so I cut off the dead leaves. I am watering it about every other day, but it just doesn't look good. What can I do to help it?

Answers

Your tree may be in shock after transplanting. It had perfect conditions inside your home. Give it time to adjust.

Has the plant adjusted?

Hopefully it will come back for you. The best thing to do is watch its water intake and not let it get waterlogged.

Post back with an update!

This is my 5th avocado tree and I cannot reach first base. My fifth one is still in it's 5 gallon container. I bought it 9 days ago, and it was grafted. In the last 4 days I noticed the leaves were curling, then fell off. The falling leaves start below and then are going up to the young ones. I have already lost 3 leaves and have not put it in the ground.

I lost my fourth avocado because I put it in the ground right away. The 3rd and fourth one, I even put them one foot above ground, good depth, well prepared soil, mulched it, but it still died on me. I tried more water, then less water in a well drained soil. I am now checking with anyone familiar with my experience before I put this new avocado in the ground.

Please I need your help!

Answers

Make sure avocado trees are right for your area. Keep in mind it can take years to get fruit on a tree. Some never fruit.

You don't say where you are, but Avocado trees are challenging to grow in many areas...like where I am in Pittsburgh I can get pretty plants, but not much else.

Your local home extension office can give you the low down on growing them in your area. Here is a locator:

www.gardeningknowhow.com/extension-search

Wishing you the best. I know it is frustrating!

Home and Garden Gardening Fruit TreesJanuary 8, 2018
🎄