Planting an Avocado Tree

This is my 5th avocado tree and I cannot reach first base. My fifth one is still in it's 5 gallon container. I bought it 9 days ago, and it was grafted. In the last 4 days I noticed the leaves were curling, then fell off. The falling leaves start below and then are going up to the young ones. I have already lost 3 leaves and have not put it in the ground.

I lost my fourth avocado because I put it in the ground right away. The 3rd and fourth one, I even put them one foot above ground, good depth, well prepared soil, mulched it, but it still died on me. I tried more water, then less water in a well drained soil. I am now checking with anyone familiar with my experience before I put this new avocado in the ground.

Please I need your help!

Make sure avocado trees are right for your area. Keep in mind it can take years to get fruit on a tree. Some never fruit.

You don't say where you are, but Avocado trees are challenging to grow in many areas...like where I am in Pittsburgh I can get pretty plants, but not much else.

Your local home extension office can give you the low down on growing them in your area. Here is a locator:

www.gardeningknowhow.com/extension-search

Wishing you the best. I know it is frustrating!