Avocado Tree Not Growing Fruit

Category Fruit Trees
Several factors can affect the setting of fruit by an avocado tree. They can yield a generous crop one year and none the next. This is a page about avocado tree not growing fruit.

My avocado tree, planted in the yard 20 years ago, has never fruited or even had blossoms. Last year it had blossoms, but they didn't turn into fruit. The tree we had cut down about 20 years ago would produce over 400 avocados every year. This tree is a seed from that tree. The current tree appears to be very healthy otherwise with lots of growth. I am in area 9 in Santa Clara Valley in central California. Anyone have any ideas what is happening?

Answers

Best Answer

Avocado trees grown from a seed can produce fruit but as you have found - it may take 20 years or more.

• It seems the basic reason avocado usually trees do not bloom is due to not enough or no pollination.
  • There either needs to be another tree (and bees or birds) plus a lot of luck or the trees have to be hand pollinated.
  • Weather and care also need to be considered but pollination is essential for fruit to bear.

here are a couple of web sites that have information that might help you find answers to what you can do with your tree.

homeguides.sfgate.com/make-avocado-tree-bear-fruit-44718...

www.hunker.com/.../how-to-make-an-avocado-tree-bear...

I have an avocado tree. I need to know what I have to do to make it fruit. The plant is close to 2 years old.

Answers

Your tree is not mature enough,they fruit faster in zones 9 thru 11. It loves a lot of sun. In cooler areas will take longer.

So did you buy the plant or plant it from a seed yourself?

If you grew it yourself, there is a chance it will never bear fruit. I am not sure why...but that has always been my luck.

If you got it from a "breeder"/store, they usually don't bear fruit until they are at least 3, and as long as 5 years old.

You don't say where you are located. If you are in the US, maybe your home extension office can offer you things to do in your zone to help it be closer to the 3 year mark, vs. 5.

pickyourown.org/countyextensionagentoffices.htm

You can put your US zip in here and find the one closest to you. I find ours in PA to be lovely and helpful!

Avocado trees can take up to 10 years to bear fruit, and even then may not. Good luck.

Anonymous

Thanks for your help

Avocado trees can take up to 5 years before they will bear fruit. This tree is way too small and in a bucket or large pot. If you want your tree to give fruit then you need to plant it in the ground.

Anonymous

Thank you

I have three avocado trees. They were grown from seeds and they are very tall. They are about ten years old and in all of that time, they only gave avocados one time. They all produced avocados at the same time and a lot of them, but they haven't since then and it has been two or three years. Is there a certain fertilizer they need, or what can I do so that they can grow some more avocados. Thank you!

By Jazmin O.

Home and Garden Gardening Fruit TreesMay 23, 2013
💘
🍀

Generated 2020-01-23 12:45:36 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️