Planting an Avocado Tree Outside

My avocado tree has grown to about 3 1/2 feet from the pit. I have had it in the house in a window since starting it, probably 2 or 3 years ago. I want to move it outside either in a larger pot or in the ground. I am in zone 7 or 8 in North Carolina. Can it survive being out doors?

Best Answer

There are 3 different kinds of avocado trees and each can take different degrees of cold weather but since you are growing your tree from a seed I'm sure you do not know what kind of tree you have. That means you should stick with the least cold hardy type tree information just to be safe.

I believe you would be taking a chance on losing your tree if planted in the ground so I would recommend planting it in a pot that can be moved inside.

You can always contact a master gardener in your area and ask them for advice since they are familiar with your climate.

Here is a link to locate a master grander in your area.

ahsgardening.org/.../master-gardeners

Best Answer

If you are in zone 7 in North Carolina, you may have experienced the 3 degree temperature we had last Winter. Your avocado tree certainly will not survive such extreme cold. It will not survive freezing temperatures, at all.

If you planted it outside in the ground and it did survive; it would reach a height of about 20 feet or more. Keeping the tree in a container will restrict its growth to about 7-8 feet.

It may be best to keep the tree in a container and move the container to a sunlit porch or deck during the warmer months.

Avocado trees are warm weather plants and don't do good with temperatures under 40 degrees. It is possible that you can plant this tree in your yard if you buy a freeze cloth for the cold.

Avocado trees need at least 6 to 8 hours of direct sun each day to produce avocados.

I would suggest planting this tree in a pot outside and not in the ground.

Then, if you have cold weather you can move this tree back into your home.

You should also have a freeze cloth available for colder weather so your tree is not damaged if you keep it outside.

In your area, its probably best to move it somewhere as warm as possible until the cold is over.

It is to cold in the winter for an avocado tree in North Carolina. If you potted it you could bring it in when it gets cold.