Pets No Longer Allowed on Freecycle?

Does anyone know anything about this new law? Does it really pertain to individuals? You can no longer give an animal away? This was posted on free cycle site:

"Pets are no longer going to be allowed on Freecycle

I never thought I'd see the day where puppies are lumped into the same
category as money and drugs, but effective immediately, they too are not
permitted on the group.

This change came down from the state level of Freecycle moderators
after an Illinois law changed recently (actually, I don't know if it
is a recent change or if we are just now hearing about it - I was told
it is a new law).

The law in the state of Illinois now requires those who are pet
dealers to carry a license. The catch? A pet dealer INCLUDES someone
who "exchanges" animals regardless of whether or not they are charging
money. So, that essentially includes a Freecycle exchange. And if
you exchange a pet on the group, you are a pet dealer. And guess what:
there's a fee for that.

The group is not designed to handle this kind of requirement, and
pursuit of this is not in the group's interest as it sharply veers
away from the 'recycling' purpose that we strive to maintain."

Imaqt1962

Im from Illinois but i live in Indiana now. I wish all the states had that law. Freecycle was meant to keep things out of the landfills. People need to spay and neuter their animals!

This is not a directive that came down from The Freecycle Network. Whether to allow pets or not is left up to each individual group or their moderator/s. We urge groups to do a Poll of their members and see what they prefer and go with that. However, if the matter causes a moderator a big problem, then it is within her scope to make the rule her/himself.

You mentioned an IL law and that very well may be true, I don't know about that first hand.

Beverly, A Freecycle member/moderator and believer

Perhaps it is in the best interests of the animal to do this - I don't know - I'm from Australia but I don't know that I would let any of my animals go to a stranger on the net

They haven't allowed pets as long as I have been a part of freesycle (about 4 years) and I think it is wonderful. The site would be filled with nothing but animal give aways. It is bad for people just to try and "recycle" pets. Maybe someone should start a pet exchange/giveaway page.

As of today, pets are still allowed on the local Freecycle site in western NY. The poster of the info is referring to her home state.

Pets are still allowed on the site in northeast TN.

It seems weird to me that freecyclers are considered to be "exchanging" pets. That would mean they get something in return, which is against the freecycle rules.

in Hull UK we also can not put animals on our freecycle. Ruth member of freecycle

I totally agree not to post pets for give away or for sale. Animal abusers have a field day with these

"free to a good home" ads.

They sell the furbabies to animal research labs.

There they torture the animals in the name of science! There is no documented evidence that the tests they perform on animals is the least bit relative to humans.

Computers do a better job.

Im in Illinois and my county freecycle group does not have that rule- from what I understand there is not a law against finding your pets a new home. It depends on who your moderator is as they are the ones who makes the rules. You cant be considered a dealer if you dont get money for it anyway.

I'm sorry if not being able to offer animals for free upsets some people, but if Freecycle is indeed doing this, I commend them.

Hi all. I am a co-owner of the Salt Lake Freecycle Group. It is up to the group owners as to whether to allow pet posts. We used to not allow pet posts, but have rethought our decision and now we allow them. We do have a pet moderator who is a member of one of the animal rescue groups. We all believe in getting pets spayed or neutered, but realize that some people just don't do it. We have heard of people just dumping animals on dumpsters, out in the country, etc. because they just want to get rid of them. The shelters have so many pets that there are a lot ethanized all of the time. So pets can end up in the landfills. The ideal and the reality are not the same. We think that by allowing them on our Freecycle(TM) Group, they at least have a chance. Our Pet Moderator contact all that post an Offer or a Want for a pet to try to make sure pets go to loving homes.

I'm from Illinois, and I've belonged to three FreeCycle groups as I moved around here.

Not one of the groups allowed freecycling pets. Why?

Because people exchanging pets have no assurances that the person picking them up can care for their new creature, and many people have seen their animals returned to them by law enforcement, or worse, saw theirs on the street!

Its much better for someone to drop a pet off at a local rescue group or humane society. At least they have a chance to make sure they're going to a proper home.

I'M NOT UPSET AT ALL ABOUT THIS. I JUST WONDERED IF ANY ONE HAD HEARD OF A LAW LIKE THIS.POSTING ON FREECYCLE IS NO DIFFERENT THAN POSTING AN AD IN A NEWSPAPER...

It's a reasonable restriction to protect both potential pet owners and the pet. The best thing to do is to bring your available pet to the local shelter where they will examine it for good/poor health, give it the vacinations it needs and most importantly, spay or neuter it..

Btw, for anyone's information, when you TYPE IN ALL CAPITALS, it's the same thing as shouting or screaming to people on the internet, emails, etc.

:-)

Editor's Note: We have a few readers that can only type in All Caps so please don't think they are shouting at you.

law or no law, you need to be careful about who you give your animals to. Never advertise "free" puppies or kittens. There are research facilities that pay for animals and there are people who will seek out these "free" animals to sell to them. Just stick a sign in your yard that says "kittens" or "puppies" and people will stop. Then you can negotiate a very low price ($10 or so) and make sure you feel comfortable that the person will take care of the animal.

Here, you have to pay to take an animal to any of the shelters so some people just dump them. The rescue groups are usually full and both are around $100 to adopt a pet. Also, the shelters here sell animals for research. These are reasons why we, as owners of a Freecycle(TM) group, made the decision to allow pet posts with the help of a special pet moderator. We feel it gives the pets a better chance for a loving home.

Vickie

Some, if not most of these animals are spayed or neutered and people are moving or facing other hardships and can't keep them anymore. Placing them on freecycle gives them a chance before they end up in a shelter or worst. If you don't believe me just ask my healthy happy dog I got off freecycle in N.C. this past fall, he'd say" thumbs up freecycle!!"

Dog at Vet
Spaying or Neutering Your Pets
Unsubscribing from Freecycle. Using Freecycle. Vintage furniture and TV.
Using Freecycle
Unsubscribing from Freecycle
Flapper Woman With Martini
Making a Flapper (1920s) Costume
🎄