Removing Pet Hair from Bedding

White cat laying on white bed. Lower body is under covers, front legs are straight and hanging off the bed
Many pets are allowed to sleep on their owner's bed. This can leave a lot of hair behind to clean off. This is a guide about removing pet hair from bedding.

I have two dogs and a mink blanket, and with it becoming summer, they are still shedding profusely. I have washed my blanket several times and dried it. The dog hair remains, not nearly as bad, but there is still plenty there. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the rest of the hair off of the blanket?

By catielady09 from OH

Answers

Best Answer

Take a roll of wide duct tape. Unroll just enough to wrap it around the spool backwards and stick to the beginning. Then roll this over your sheets and blankets. It'll pick it all up. If it gets full of hair and debris, simply cut off this section and roll out a fresh section. I have 2 black dogs who sleep with me and I do this every morning when I make the bed.

Best Answer

I can recommend two options. #1 purchase one of the rollers that you use to take lint off of clothing. You may go through several sheets but I know it takes all of my cats fur off of just about everything.

Oh yes, if you're near and IKEA I've found them to be the cheapest there. (They have refills too.) #2 there is a pet hair remover sponge (mine is blue) which is sold in Bed Bath & Beyond (about $5) and it seems to work really well also.

I would like tips for removing cat and dog hair from bed sheets and blankets.

Heather from Long Beach, CA

Answers:

Removing Cat And Dog Hair From Bed Sheets And Blankets

Use a damp sponge, it works great. (09/14/2006)

By Jan

I run my bedspread or top cover in the dryer on air, take it out, rearrange it and repeat. Lots of hair recovered that way. Sheets, you could do the same before washing and drying. I haven't yet done that, but it's probably a good idea if you have lots of hair. I have two cats who get a good brushing every day and they still shed. The vacuum has pretty good hair balls, too. (09/14/2006)

By 2oma

I have a cat that leaves cat hair all over the place and I have found out that using a lint remover takes it all up and I get the arm exercise at the same time. (09/15/2006)

By Sandy

I've heard that putting on a pair of rubber gloves and then running your hands over surfaces will pick up hair and fuzzies. (09/15/2006)

By Jantoo

I have the same problem. I have 2 dogs that sleep with me. I cover the bed with an old sheet, then twice a week I use a handheld vacuum and vacuum that sheet. Then I take it outside and shake it really good and then wash it. I do the entire bed that way once a week. While the bed is stripped I spray it good with
Febreze. It's a lot of work for me but I love my doggies and wouldn't trade them for anything. (09/15/2006)

By msettamae2

I have a dog that sleeps with me. He sheds a great deal. I place an old sheet over the top of the bed and then use a lint remover on a roller to remove the hair. It works great. (09/15/2006)

By Jacque

I have a white dog and a black cat so no matter what color clothes or furniture I have one or the other's hair shows up.The damp sponge works well (a large one like you use for washing the car) but doesn't always get it all. I went to the dollar store and bought a paint roller and a roll of packing tape. Wrap the packing tape around the paint roller sticky side out and roll the hair up.

This works very well for fine hair that gets embedded in the fabric and it's super cheap. I store the tape on the roller handle and keep it in the closet so I can run it over my clothes just before I go out the door. Hope this helps, it's the best solution I've found. (09/18/2006)

By Donna6397

Another way to remove cat or dog hair from blankets is to get a bowl with warm water, wet your hand a little bit and start rubbing your blanket. The hair will absorb the water and it will become little hair balls. You can then pick em all and throw em away. (07/19/2008)

By DankBudz