Saving Money On Bedding

Recently my son went from a twin-size bed to a queen-size bed (it was given to us by a relative). The mattress was hard and he wanted a feather bed to make it softer. Not being able to afford a queen-size feather bed at this time, I thought that perhaps the comforter from his twin bed would work. It fits under the fitted sheet perfectly and now his bed is much softer.

By Noella from Boliver, MO

11 More Solutions

I learned my lesson awhile ago when buying bedsheets, it is important to check if they fit for your bed prior to doing laundry. If they don't fit, you can take it back and refund or exchange. Once washed, you wouldn't be able to return or exchange.

A bedsheet that is slightly too large for the bed.

I read a posting from soup-lady about making pillow cases from sheets. My mother did that for years using worn-out old sheets. If you do not have any old sheets, go to a thrift store and buy their sheets, they don't cost that much and they are cheaper than buying new ones.

Tips for Saving Money on Bedding as suggested by the ThriftyFun community. Feel free to share your own ideas here.

Pillows and Sheets on Bed

Kelly Ann Butterbaugh

The Winter White Sale is a phrase most people have heard, but rare is the person who truly understands it. Linens appear on sale throughout the year, but January often touts the label of White Sale month.

A bed with pillows and a comforter

I live in Adelaide, South Australia. The winters here get cold (no snow) but houses here do NOT have any form of central heating. Instead of using electric blankets (dangerous with children jumping on bed), we use polar fleece blankets as sheets.

Make fitted bed sheets. That's right! Last week I was going through my sheet sheets and found I had more king sheets than queens. I didn't really need the extra kings so I decided to cut down the king fitted sheets and make queen fitted sheets.

I have a water bed and sheets for it never go on sale. I found a pair of king size sheets at our local little thrift shop really cheap.

When I got home, I put the fitted bottom on our bed to see how short it was and measured how much more sheet I needed to tuck in.

Here is a tip to to stretch dollars for those buying new pillows. What I do when they go flat is to put two flat pillows in my pillow shams to have a nice plump sham.

I have a "body pillow" that has seen better days. I put it at the head of my bed and then place my pillows on top of it. It has been washed several times over the years.

Any tips on mattress shopping? I have found it difficult to comparison shop.

Martin from Owensboro, KY

Answers

By Sarah (Guest Post)

Hi! Every customer is different, but here's what worked for us. First we went to a giant-sized mattress store (Mattress Warehouse & Mattress Discounters are big ones in our area). We didn't plan to buy one yet, but we tried out lots of mattresses to see what features we wanted. Nearby was a smaller store that carried mainly "Symbol" brand mattresses. We found what we wanted in a Symbol mattress, and it cost about 35% less than what appeared to be comparable at the big box store. We tested it for 5-10 minutes before we decided to buy it, though! We've had the mattress for 12 years and it's still great!

Symbol's site is symbolmattress.com. You can email in to find a retailer near you.
A couple other things:
1. Good Housekeeping had an article on mattresses in April, 2005. They mentioned that pillow top mattresses may be a bad buy because the pillow top usually wears out before the mattress does. Another concern with thick mattresses is whether your current bottom sheets still fit.
They also said that comparing the number of coils is not a good way to comparison shop.
2. I agree that comparison shopping is tough. The sales people admitted that Sealy, Serta, and the other big manufacturers label basically the same mattress with different names when it is sold at different retailers.

This advice may not help if one of you has recently had back surgery, etc., but I hope you find it useful!

Try Consumer Reports, they are awesome when it comes to comparison shopping. Figure out what you are looking for first, hard, soft etc.

And I echo the pillow top advice, my husband had to have one, well we've never been able to find sheets that fit since then! I found 4 sets for $19.99 at Target about 5 years back, and they plus one other set have been our sheets for years. Since our pillow top is on both sides, it's really fat and HARD to find bottom sheets to stay on, I would NOT go for that! I just saw an Oprah show where she was sitting on a mattress that looked really good, I would check her website. I know you are supposed to lay on a mattress in the store for at least 15 minutes and most people say to bring your own pillow. But if I did that, they have me in La La land in less than 5!!!!

Good luck!

By shani (Guest Post)

Hubby and I bought the simmons beautyrest that has latex top on it.

We both have bad backs, and this mattress is great!

I also am quite large and it is great still

By cj jones. (Guest Post)

We waited years to replace our king size....after much research..we chose the Tempurpedic and have never been sorry. It was a little more expensive but the guarantee and the comfort were well worth it. I got on their mailing list which entitles you to learn about their specials. In our case, we got free delivery, no sales tax, removal of the old set & two queen size pillows! Since you dont buy one that often, I would choose the best one I could afford..your back will thank you.

Ask clerk to show you mattresses for people with bad backs. This will save a lot of time. Both spouses lie down on mattress and see if it slopes. Then one plops down onto the mattress and then turns over. See if mattress becomes too jiggly.

Know that you will have to invest in 200 or greater thread count sheets because these have the deep pockets that can accomodate plush and pillow tops.
Over 250 count and the sheets tend to wrinkle. Buy the best mattresses you can afford, they'll last longer and you'll be happy.
Get a waterproof mattress cover because if there is one tiny stain on the mattress, the warranty becomes void. Unfortunately.
We had a great Serta orthopedic pillow top which lasted 16 years. Spent $2,000.
A few years ago we bought another one on sale that was originally $1800 and it didn't last. It was supposed to be one that never needs turning and it developed dents (which I suspected would happen). Buy a mattress that needs regular turning and then do it. Mark reminders on your calendar.
Used the warranty plus more $ to upgrade to a $3,000 one which we like. Good beds are not cheap.
I guess if you take the purchase price and amortise it over the life of the bed, it works out to something reasonable.
Since you are not going to be able to compare the beds between different stores, I'd like to suggest that you write down any info available on a paper and make up a chart. For instance, you might be able to discover how many layers are in the pillow top and what they are made of. Or the fabric in the top of the padding.
Know that a pillow top is heavier than a regular bed and the frame has to be heavy duty. If you do not have an appropriate frame (and many stores offer them free with mattress purchase), and the bed breaks, the warranty is void.

At the very least, go to 2 different stores and compare prices, delivery fees, old bed removal... everything and anything. Pretty soon, you will begin to see a pattern.
Wait for a sale!

The foam mattresses that are so expensive run warm, so if you are sensitive to the heat, or have a partner that is, do not buy! The clerk told me that they are supposed to try to talk people out of buying this style because it's most frequently returned and represents a loss for the store.

I noticed that all stores proclaim they are 'discount'. Even the expensive ones. That's why you have to shop around. Don't be fooled by sale signs.

I hope this helped.

we once paid lots for simmons but it was too firm and never got company or store owner to
switch it out as advertised within 2 mos. we realized
how uncomfortable it was.
we then went to denver mattress store and found we
liked and tried it at store several diff times and now
happy and comfy with it.
I hear the memory foam ones are GREAT.

By carrie` (Guest Post)

We looked a LOT of places before we finally bought a new mattress. We actually ended up buying our new queen set from of all places BIG LOTS! if you have one in your area that sells furniture, they sell serta perfect sleeper mattresses. We bought their top of the line model, the Danford Perfect Sleeper. It has a very thick pillowtop and is a great mattress! We've been sleeping on it over a month now, and my husband's back problems have really subsided!! This mattress was around $550 for the set. This was the cheapest price we could find, and honestly I was skeptical about a mattress from big lots, but so far, we LOVE it and are really happy with it! Good luck!

Consider a Sleep Number bed! :o)

I LOVE our Tempurpedic. We went through 2 mattresses in about 4 years, including a double pillow top. Used to wake up stiff and achy. We've had the Tempurpedic for about 3 years now and really love it!

Have a look at the US mattress website. www.us-mattress.com/ I recently purchased a plush euro pillowtop king size Sealy set there, and I am extremely pleased with the entire process. These are not seconds, used or anything but new mattresses and the website owner has actual storefronts located in Michigan. The website gives a "comfort scale" that helps you to find the right bed for your needs and it was right on the money to the bed I received. The delivery is included in the web price, but be warned this is not an instant gratification shopping experience. It takes about 3 to 4 weeks to take delivery from the time you order, but the money saved is worth it. It is difficult to comparision shop even locally between stores, because stores sell the same mattresses under different names and do not generally publish the specifications (types and layers in the quilt and padding, number of coils, etc.) - you'll have to ask for them. I pulled specs from the mattress I had selected at US Mattress and matched those specs identically on the same bed (with a different model name on it) at a local store. I was able to lay on it and confirm that it was the perfect match for me, so the comfort scale worked. I asked the store owner if they were willing to come down on the in-store price but he would only come off $100 and tried to convince me that it was not the same mattress set, even though the specifications matched identically. In the end, I walked away and bought online at US Mattress, saving $700 off the store's price, PLUS the local store would have also charged me for the frame, for delivery and added sales tax, none of which I had to pay at US Mattress! All told we saved tons of money. I never thought that I would buy a bed off the internet, but it is such a comfortable bed, a great shopping experience and loads cheaper!!! Just remember it does take awhile to get the mattress but it is well worth it to check into it.

By sid (Guest Post)

Carrie, Thank you! Thank you! We bought the exact same mattress with 20% off coupon. Best deal in town ever!

How do you buy expensive looking duvet covers on a budget?

By Love from Chicago

Consumer Advice Shopping Home & GardenMarch 28, 2012
😷
🐛
📓
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Saving-Money-On-Bedding-1.html