Storing Bedding

Category Linens
Bedding is generally a seasonal item that may need to be stored away until next summer or winter, for example. This is a guide about storing bedding.

This is a home decor and organization tip all in one. If you have lots of blankets taking up space in your linen closet and would like to add a touch of elegance and comfort to your bedroom(s), try this: buy a sturdy coffee table at a yard sale or thrift store whose legs would compliment your decor.

Find a piece of fabric you like, cut it so you have two pieces big enough to cover the top of the coffee table,with several inches hanging over on all sides.

Paint, stain, marbleize, or whatever you would like to do to the table to have it match or compliment the other pieces in the room.

Sew the fabric top and bottoms together, but leave one long side open; on this side seam, sew Velcro or a zipper, or ribbons to be tied, or other method of closure, thereby making a big "sack".
Now take all the extra blankets, fold them to the dimensions of the table top, and place them in the fabric "sack". Fasten sack shut with bows, Velcro, etc., and place it on the coffee table.

You now have a cushioned bench for the foot of your bed, in front of a window, or anyplace you would like, and your blankets are out of the way until needed.

Source: Too many kids, not enough room, love of decorating.

By Dollyslaffn from Darien, GA

To save space I made large cushion covers and folded my extra doonas up in them. Make the covers to match your lounge or sofa, and no one would guess. It's great if you have limited space, especially if you live in a small flat or unit.

By Margaret from New South Wales, Australia

Editor's Note: Wikipedia says: Doona is Australian for a padded blanket. Originally a product name.

This is a great idea to store all your bedding, clothes the kids have not grown into, teddy bears, material your too busy to sew up, and seasonal clothes. Simply take anything soft you aren't using often, place it into garbage bags, fill them as full as you can but make sure you are still able to gather the top together. Put your vacuum attachment into the opening and close the top around it. Hold it tightly, turn on your vacuum, and watch it shrink to about 1/4 of the size. Get the heaviest bags you can get, maybe garden bags. I'm going to get some super heavy bags from a janitor supply store. Well, happy storage.

By Brenda from Prince George, BC

I've lived in several places with limited storage. To save room when it came time to remove blankets or place a lighter weight bedspread/comforter, I merely place them on the bed and then put the sheets on over them. It also helps making the bed more comfy.

I have moved from a huge apartment into a very small one in exchange for an awesome location. Storage space is at a premium so I've had to get inventive.

Reading through an old book I read that I could store spare blankets in between my mattress and the divan part of my bed! Otherwise, these bulky items take up so much drawer space. I never would have thought of that and who would know I have some laundry stashed under my mattress?!

Source: Betty-Anne's Helpful Household Hints

I have king-size and a full-size beds. I have read tips about what to do with the sheets and pillowcases, but my comforters are huge! I don't have all that much storage space. Does anyone have any ideas on how to store these using the least amount of space? They are falling all over the place, out of the linen closet and getting dirty and I have to rewash again, and the cycle continues...ugh! Please help! Thanks!

Tammy from Fort Mccoy, FL

Answers

I store mine in large plastic containers and also in plastic wrapping that they came in. If you don't have those (or maybe you made them yourself) you could use large garbage bags, press down to get all air out, and twist-tie close.

I store mine on industrial sized hangers (from the cleaners) and cover with a plastic cleaner bag

I have not tried this as yet but if you put the comforters in a large bag, secure it with a rubber band to the hose of the blower part of a tank vacuum cleaner it will reduce this to a small package. Quickly remove the bag and tie tightly. When ready to use open the bag and it will expand to normal size. Good Luck. Let us know your results.

Those "space bags" that are advertised on TV work nice for storing comforters. They do cost a little bit, and depending on what size you use, you will end up with a compressed comforter that may or may not be awkward to handle (like the jumbo size). I use several for storing out-of-season clothes, linens, fabric, etc.

If you store them in Space Bags or something similar where you suck the air out they rec you take them out occasionally and fluff them up so they don't loose their loft. Dont know how long you keep yours in storage mode. Also storing in plastic is tricky. Some plastics give off a gas and will cause fabrics to yellow if stored too long. And some stuff I have stored in plastic bags ends up stinking of plastic smell. But I am touchy on scented things.

I read that items rolled up and stored take less room than items folded and stored. I saw an apartment in a magazine once with no storage space where they took bulky jackets and comforters etc and stuffed them into fabric bags they made. They used them more like decorative pillows.

One was a drawstrig type bag and another was more of a bolster pillow only sewed to wrap around and tie so you could undo it to get at the comforter.

Sorta like this one:

http://www.digs  unge_bolster.htm

Zip loc has Huge bags that work similar to space bags and they often have coupons to buy them!

Have you tried the vacuum bags. You just fill them up and vacuum out the air. Or put them under your mattress and you have a bed skirt too. Just a thought.

I store blankets in large plastic tubs also, and also in 2 empty suitcases!

Have you thought about rolling them & tying them with a belt or cord?
If you get help you can get them rolled small & tied & they take up less room!
Same goes for towels or anything you pack for a trip & everything stays neater!

I just fold mine in half and store them between my mattress and box spring. I also take my blankets (used in winter to keep us warm in various places around the house) and fold them up and put them into decorative pillowcases.

Vacuum bags are the way to go, you can get a lot of things in them and they shrink down really nice and compact.

You might try this. You can find second hand or inexpensive shower curtains rods. Get some drapery brackets and hang them behind your clothes. Hang the blankets in half in the back. If you have room, that is.

You can buy "bed raisers" at hardware stores. Unless you have a water bed, these 4 legs will raise the height of your bed, giving you more storage underneath. Or if you have a carpenter friend, you can make these. I got a couch FREE off a sidewalk that had no legs, and a friend of mine made 8" legs for it. Now I have a lot more space for storage under there.

My comforters are huge, too. Through the years I have accumulated quite a few, and in various colors. I got an idea yesterday on what to do with them to make them handy when I need them. I am going to the dollar store and buy their pretty curtain rods and make a row of them down a wall and hang these comforters from a wall in my home office.

I will work from home soon, so I can have them when I get cold. I have people spending the night all the time, so this way I don't have to dig them out of anywhere either.

Space bags!

I have several blankets. I bought those plastic storage bags from Dollar Tree to store them. I need a place now to put them. Thank you.

By flower

Answers

If your bed is high from floor, slide them under.

Under your bed is a great place to store blankets.