Helpful HintsFood Tips

Use Metal Faucet To Remove Onion Odor

When you cut an onion and you can't get the smell off, put some dish detergent on your hands and rub your faucet up and down on it for about 1 or 2 minutes then rinse. The smell should be gone.

By babyelephants86 from New Tazewell, TN

Don't even need that long, if your faucet isn't stainless (which a lot aren't) use a spoon for a few seconds. Amazing it works!

Totally don't understand how you rub a faucet on your hands-mine is attached? Oh, I just read the comments and I bet you rub your hands on the faucet-NOT rub the faucet on your hands.

None of this is necessary. Just rub your hands together under cold water and the smell is gone. I have done this for years. I am not sayinbg those other things don't work but the cold water is the simplest.

The most simple way to remove onion smell from your hands is something I learned from being in the food business for over 30 years and cutting up probably thousands of onions :). Put a small amount of salt into the palm of your hand then wet it slightly, and rub your hands together under the water as if you are washing them, smell completely gone.

I hate the awful smell your hands have after chopping onions. A quick tip to remove the smell when you are washing your hands is to run your entire hand over the metal faucet. Like magic, the smell is gone.

By Hicknny from Stratford, NY

Answers:

Use Metal To Remove Onion Odor

I don't know about the metal, but quickly rubbing some salt with some lemon wedge does the same thing. Or using the sanitizer, or washing with soap and water. When I am cutting 5 pounds or more, I put on a pair of food prep gloves.
(06/03/2010)

By TandT Grandma

How does a metal knife help remove onion odor?

By Maxene from Quezon City, Philippines

Answers:

Metal Knife Handle to Remove Onion Odor

The knife or preferably (something safer) should be stainless steel. It works! (08/26/2009)

By Bama_Jypsy1

Metal Knife Handle to Remove Onion Odor

It will remove any type odors from your hands. Garlic, onions etc. (08/26/2009)

By Bama_Jypsy1

Metal Knife Handle to Remove Onion Odor

I rub my hands on the sink faucet. It is stainless steel and it works. (08/26/2009)

By sandy63

Metal Knife Handle to Remove Onion Odor

Knife, spoon, fork etc., all will eliminate any kind of odor you get on your hands. Just pretend you're washing them under running water! (08/26/2009)

By xstchr92

After chopping onions and/or garlic, it's extremely difficult to remove the smell from your hands. A sure-proof way to do this is to take a metal knife (handle must be metal), hold the handle with fingertips, then place under cold, running water for about 15-20 seconds. Volia! Stink be gone.

By April from Albany, GA