Use a Metal Coffee Can to Store Bags

Easy storage for grocery store plastic bags: Save your metal coffee can when finished with them. Cut a medium size "X" in the middle of the plastic lid. As you accumulate your plastic bags stuff them in the can and when you are ready to use on, just pull the bag through the "X" in the lid.

Julie from Liberty, NC

I always saved my plastic bags and used them for my small trash cans in the house and for kitchen garbage. Then someone posted a U-tube showing the BAD affects of these plastic bags (grocery, Wal-Mart, etc.) It's heartbreaking to see how these bags putrefy our waterways, countrysides, and even kill wildlife. I do NOT use these bags any longer. I put them ALL in a recycle bin at Wal-Mart! They say they cost more than they are worth to recycle, but I'm not leaving them for the environment to suffer!

Just Google U-tube and type in plastic bags and you will see! Thanks for listening to a old woman rave!

You are so right, Linda! I have started to take canvas bags with me to shop so that I don't get plastic grocery bags given to me. I live in a small town, and the cashiers look at me like I'm crazy, but I don't care. Most of us are not aware of just how long it takes for this plastic to biodegrade. They are estimating somewhere around 100 years! We have all got to stop ignoring our environmental problems!

To Julie, please don't think I'm trying to be rude to you and don't appreciate your suggestion. The reality of things is that even though I hate the fact that we have these bags, I still get some from time to time, so your suggestion is useful and clever. Thank you for sharing!

I use the plastic bags for various purposes so I recycle them a time or two before they are pitched or put in a recycle bin. I have stored them in empty tissue boxes as well as a clean plastic milk jug that I cut a hole in. I also think using a plastic coffee container would work well and some of those have a handle!

I clean out foreclosures for a living and I can tell you 98.99% of the time that I clean out a cabinet, bag or box that is full of these bags, there are roaches present. I never ever keep them-they are recycled as soon I unload them. We have a bin outside the house that we empty after a week or so.

Better Living Green Living ReusingJanuary 8, 2009
rinsing out a coffee pot with hot water
Cleaning a Coffee Pot
Cleaning Metal
Cleaning Metal
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Cleaning Rust off of Metal
Removing Rust from Metal