Can I Safely Put Tulle Inside Lighted Glass Blocks?

I have been making the lighted and decorated glass boxes for about a year. I am interested in filling the inside with some type of tulle or other material. My question is, will this cause a problem with the lights starting a fire? I have looked into the LED lights, but have found them to be expensive.

By Janie from St. Rose, LA

This is an excellent question. I don't have an answer for you but I would worry about the same thing, a potential fire hazard. Looking forward to reading other posts concerning this issue and hoping someone knowledgeable will respond.

Yes, as long as it is Flame Retardant tulle. Look for the Made in USA tulle available in your favorite store or online. Some of the Made in China or Made in Mexico tulle, while less expensive, may or may not be flame retardant.

I don't think LED's put off much heat at all. And as for their being expensive, usually Walmart has them as cheaply as $1.50 per 150-light string. I have used those for several years on our tree and have not had a single bulb burn out yet.

I agree with tricots as long as it is Flame Retardant tulle I think it would be fine. Make sure it is made in the USA! Sometimes it is better to be safe than sorry and pay a little more if you have too.

Crafts AdviceDecember 6, 2010
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Tulle Flowers
Making Tulle Flowers
Pink Tulle
Hanging Tulle From the Ceiling
Glass Blocks
Putting Pictures on Lighted Glass Blocks