Clear Or Frosted Glass Block Lights?

I am interested in making glass block lights, but I am not sure which type is the best to use. I read clear is the best but then I also read that the frosted is the best. Do any of you have a suggestion?

Julie from Fraser, MI

I made some last year for Christmas gifts. I used the clear blocks. They turned out beautifully. Everyone loved them and I had requests for more.

I think the frosted ones would be attractive too. What's available in your area? That might be one question to ask yourself. What do they cost is another question.

Good luck.

I have seen both types at the local craft fairs and both look great. Why not try one of each to start and see how you like them. You may find you like both and end up making both! I have been telling my husband for ages that I want to make these. Now I think I'll have to get to it!

I would decide what kind of lighting I want from the light and purchase glass blocks accordingly. I would think the frosted blocks would be a little more subtle and ambient for light where as the clear would give out a brighter light. Of course, you could try both or get clear and try some frosted effects on it using glass etching cream to make it your own.

The blocks I found at Menard's for under $5 each were various types. Some had a bubble effect. Some were frosted - some were diamond patterned. I did buy a clear one.

What I CAN"T find is the drill bit for drilling the hole.

Susie

The diamond pattern blocks are really neat for reflecting the multi colored lights, the clear ones are good to put stencils or etch a pattern with a drummel on them and the frosted blocks are good for the snow frosty look. White lights with white wire are a must for clear of frosted blocks! The diamond blocks use the popular green wire bulbs.

Crafts Glass ArtSeptember 6, 2007
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
Family Working on Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Oregon Zoolights
Saving Money on Christmas Lights
🎄