Browsing: Farewell Party for Child Leaving for Military

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Farewell Party for Child Leaving for Military

When your young person is heading off for military service, you want to show your appreciation with friends and family. This guide is about farewell party for child leaving for military.

Child Leaving for Military
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 11, 2010 Flag

My son will be leaving for Basic Training in the Air Force in a couple of months. We are planning a send off party for him. I need ideas for the party from invitations to food. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

By Karen from Knoxville, TN

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We gave our son a BBQ dinner at noon. I had all food in freezer so it were very easy to re heat & serve, we were very surprised at how many showed up,I had to re heat more as they all came in. It were raining that day. Did not expect too many people but food will draw a crowd, good luck to all.

I don't understand why it seems like parties now need a theme. I believe go with whatever pops into your mind. If you want to do it economically just do a basic party, serve what you want and forget the theme type decorations. If you want some decoration, most places that have fabric, have cotton type fabrics that have logos for the different branches of the military. Some are panels with one large logo on it and some are basic prints that have small logos all over. The panel would be neat tacked up on a wall for a decoration and they run between $3.00 and $5.00 a panel. If you go with the polar fleece the person could use it as a throw later on. The fleece is a little bit higher priced. But a large panel on a wall would really be all the decoration you would need. Wish your son well and good luck!

Prior to my son leaving for marine corp boot camp we hosted a party. I purchased a cake at a local grocery store and had the usmc emblem put on the cake. I went to my local $ stores and party stores and bought military decorations. I didn't find marine corp items so I used general military items instead. I used a paper tank as the centerpiece. In your case, you could use a plane. It was simple and fairly cheap. Hope this helps

Does he know he is getting a party? My hubby is retired army, the food at basic is not so good, they can't add spices and salts anymore also the good stuff like fried chicken and burgers and pizza are no more during basic. He suggests you ask him what food he wants and his favorites because he will miss them! a lot of pictures the decorations won't matter, he will be happy everyone is there to support him! We support him here and send our prayers!

Read More Answers...

September 9, 2011 Flag

Does anyone have any ideas on how to have a simple going away party (20 people) for my daughter who is leaving for the Army next month? She is 20 years old. I just want something simple with military decorations. One thought was to invite family and friends to a nice restaurant and decorate the table with Army/military decorations Do you have better suggestions?

By Onesummer

How about a pitch-in dinner of her favorite foods? Everyone bring something; this will allow everyone to spend more time with her. Something low key and relaxing would probably make her the happiest.

Invite folks to bring stuff for care packages to be sent to her over the next several months: socks, body powder, insect repellent, deodorant, razors, individually wrapped hard candies, instant Starbuck's (or whatever) coffee, phone cards, etc.

I would forego the restaurant and have a pot-luck party at your home or the home of another family member or close friend. That way, it's more informal and everyone can stay as long as they'd like.

There are many military-type scrapbook papers and stickers out there with which you could make candy wrappers, napkin holders, banners (cut out letters that spell your daughter's name, then hang them with ribbon glued on the back), and even confetti for the tables; very cute and VERY inexpensive!

Also, you might like to buy a small photo album (maybe 4x6) with plastic pockets. Before the party, invite your guests to write advice, encouraging words, or fun memories with your daughter on sheets of paper a little smaller than the pockets in the album; once the sheets are collected, you could decorate them with stickers or stamps, or whatever, and give it to your daughter to read when she's lonely or just needs a pick-me-up.

Please give my thanks to your daughter for her service to our country; she's just awesome, and I pray God blesses her time in the military.

September 16, 2011 Flag

My son is leaving for Army Basic Training in mid-October; I am having a going away open house for him in the (finished) basement of our church. I need decorating and food ideas, please. His aunt is doing the cake.

By Dianna P.

Food: Sloppy Joes, salads, and chips. Decorations: Balloon bouquets in red, white, and blue and maybe an occasional silver mixed in. At fabric stores a lot of the time they have fabric panels with the different military logos on them. Most of the time they are made out of polar fleece. You could buy one of these for no more than $15.00 and hang that on one wall, and then it could be used as a throw or wall hanging in his room at home, until he has someplace to take it. This fabric requires no hemming as it doesn't fray.

Does he know he is getting a party? My hubby is retired army I asked him what he suggests. Because they can't add salt and spices to the food and there is no pizza, burgers, or fried chicken things of that nature during basic, he suggests you ask what his favorite food is and what he wants because he will miss them! Decorations don't have to be much, he will be happy everyone is there to support him!

Holidays and Parties Parties PlanningDecember 31, 2013
Parenting an Autistic Child, Diamond shaped traffic sign warning, autistic child area.
Parenting an Autistic Child
American Flag on White Taekwondo Uniform
Sewing Patches on Clothing
Husband and Wife holding a baby
Adopting a Child
young man in camos holding a Christmas gift
Military Themed Christmas Tree
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 20, 2016 at 10:59:54 PM on 10.0.0.164 in 843 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.