Education

Planning Senior Events

I am currently in leadership in my school and I wanna know if anyone has any ideas for events we can do for seniors, something we can look back on and remember?

By Pedrooo from Los Angeles, CA

Volunteering with a senior group, a special needs group, or anything helping the community is very rewarding. Our senior class planted flowers, cooked and delivered meals, and did odd jobs for low income seniors in our town. We all had a great time, and years later, we still keep in touch with some of the seniors we helped.

As a class, you might think about selecting a nursing home for instance, and making tray favors that really are something useful. Ditty bags containing small items are nice if you have cash to spend, and you have the means to make the little bags.

Spending an afternoon making a nice Bingo Party for them was something we did frequently for a large Masonic home for seniors when I was a teenager. A Christmas Party is wonderful fun for everyone if this is a project that is to be an ongoing thing for your Leadership class.

If someone has a Polaroid camera which allows you to go in and take pictures for the seniors in small groups of 3 or 4 people, it's something they can share with a loved one somewhere,

so leave the pictures with them. Take along a collection of funny hats for them to clown around with.

You'll be surprised how much fun they'll have. Don't forget to take lots of pictures for your own project records. A digital camera would work fine for that. Make some note cards with matching envelopes and give them in packages of 12 maybe along with a pen.

You didn't say how long you have to complete the project, or if you have disposable cash, if you'll be working as a group, or a one-on-one thing, so it's difficult to suggest more without

additional information. This is a very worthwhile endeavor though, and I commend your teacher for making this a part of the curriculum. You'll enjoy it, I'm sure. Excellent memory making opportunity as well.

Good Luck to you. I'd enjoy hearing about the things your class chooses to do. It would make a nice essay for Thrifty Fun readers.

MisMachado