Saving Money as a Senior Citizen

Many senior citizens live on fixed incomes making it hard to deal with continual cost escalation. This is a guide about saving money as a senior citizen.

Did you know that many fast food places, restaurants, and other retail outlets offer a senior discount? Most restaurants that I go to give a 10% discount, and many of the fast food chains will either give you at least a 10% cash discount or a free drink with no minimum purchase. All you have to do is just ask, and 99% of the time you will get it!

By Las Vegas Angel

Wherever you go ask if they have a senior citizen discount.
If you are a senior be sure to get the discount.

By Susan

Many stores and restaurants offer senior discounts. Finding out which merchants do, can require a bit of investigation. This is a guide about, "Where do you get senior discounts?".

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Does McDonald's offer a discount for seniors?

By john larney from Medway, MA

Answers

You can call your local McDonald's and ask them.

I know a lot of the fast food places have discounted drinks or free ones for seniors but you have to ask. Wendy's give a seniors discount where I live for all the food. I have never heard of it at McDonald's only the drinks. Taco Bell does the drinks too.

My Mom gets a discount on coffee at McDonalds.

Burger King gives us "senior" drinks for .25. Combine that with one of their buy-one-get-one-free coupons for a sandwich, and we get lunch for two for two or three dollars.

I haven't seen many McD's coupons.

It varies by location. The corporate owned locations in my area offer a 49 cent coffee or soft drink. Franchise costs range from 50 cents to 60 cents. No discount on food. I'm not sure of the age threshhold as this will vary by ownership also.

In my area (NY) only on coffee which varies by location. Ex.: I paid 64-cents yesterday in NYC
but have also pd 96 in another area of NYC.
on L.I. it is cheaper

Wendy's gives 10% on one's total order.

McDonalds, Bishop's Corner, West Hartford, CT. only give a penny off for senior coffee. Normal price $1.06. Senior price $1.05. Shame on them!

D'Angelo sub shops give full 10% off everything. Wendy's also.
I just avoid McDonald's, their attitude rubs me wrong.

Can anyone recommend a cheap cellphone service for the elderly?

By bigrex2012 from Chandler, AZ

Answers

How about assurance wireless they have a free 250 minutes a month, or maybe metro pcs they are cheap.

I use Tracfone. You can purchase a phone for $10 @Walmart. Activate it for a year costs about $100. So thats about $10 a month. If you need more minutes you can purchase them as you go.

I also use Tracfone and love it. I have had it for several years with no problems. Each year, I purchase the 1 year card and the minutes that I did not use on the last card are added to the new card.

I don't use it a lot therefore, I have accumulated a lot of minutes. I keep it with me all the time, especially when I am alone.

Safelink also offers 250 free minutes per month to those who qualify. If you draw SS benefits, more than likely you qualify.