Crafts Using Playing Cards

Craft Uses For Playing Cards
Reusing packs of cards can create fun projects. This guide is about crafts using playing cards.

A pin that proves poker isn't just for the guys!

Approximate Time: 1 hour

Instructions:

With the Ace, King, Queen, Jack and Ten of all the four suites separated from the deck, you can make 4 pins out of just these five cards.

Because the cards have the Logo and Suit on each corner, you can make 4 of the Ace, 4 of the Kings, etc.

I cut them at an angle so you can fan them out, making sure that you overlap the first card with the second, and so on.

I chose the first Ace with a diamond suit, then made that the last for the Ten. The middle is a heart, and the other two are the spade and club. By doing this, you have this same kind of configuration on all the pins, just with a different combination.

I used white glue to get the cards onto the felt backing, clamping it to dry.

Then, you use your ribbon or lace to decorate the back of the cards.

Note: Don't make the same mistake I did. I went for lace that was hard and thick, therefore hard to fold at the corners. You can use felt in the shape of the cards with some showing in the back and that would look nice, too.

Make your choice or ribbon and get the ribbon tied before you put the hot glue on the felt. When you have it positioned, put the chip on the circle and press till hot glue dries, trimming off any that oozes out.

Hot glue the pin back to the felt and, Voila!

Note: As with all the pins I make, they are not designed to get wet. It's best if you don't put them on coats.

By Sandi from Yorktown, VA

Below are some ideas for reusing playing cards. Feel free to post your own ideas in the feedback forum.

Bookmarks

If you have an incomplete deck of playing cards, don't throw them away! Use them as bookmarks! You will never again have to buy those expensive bookmarks at the bookstore!

By Kimberly

Decoupage

I read somewhere to decoupage them onto a card table and the backs of the chairs. It looks cute.

By Liz

Decorating Ideas and More

I recently saw an interior designer do a game room and they placed cards around the edges of a square card table making a border and polyurethane over them to make a game table. You could add to this by using Liz's idea of putting them on the backs of chairs as well.

You could buy a package of those jewelry rings that you connect lockets to necklaces, etc. and make mobiles, a curtain similar to the bead curtains of the 70's, or a window covering for kids rooms or game rooms. Use larger rings for the top row to slide onto curtain hangers.

You could even arrange them for a framed picture for the walls.

You could glue them together to make little fans for kids to use in church or on a hot day.

If they have a cute design on the backs, glue them to a piece of card-stock and make it a 3-D picture for a greeting card.

By Tawnda

Card Houses

Kids can build card houses out of them.

By kijay

Refrigerator Magnets

Let the kids cut cool designs out of them, and tape a small picture to the back (card value side) then affix a magnet for a cute refrigerator decoration.

By kijay

Playing Card Ornaments

I just found this. I think it would still be cool with regular playing cards (either the face or the back if it's got a neat pattern).

Crystal Card Game Ornaments:
http://www.azcentral.com/home/crafty/articles/1206craftyideas06.html

By calnorth

Card People

I saw in a cute valentine man made from a queen or king of hearts card. They used pipe cleaners for the arms and legs and had the arm holding a sucker. Sort of looked like the deck of cards from the movie Alice in Wonderland.

By Brandy

Making handbag is a great way to use some old cards that can't be used for playing. This is a guide about playing card handbag.

Bag made from Playing Cards

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Today I decided to clean out my "junk drawer" and I came across a deck of cards. When checking them out, I realized that the Queen of Hearts was missing so decided to toss them out. Then I did a second thinking about that and decided to keep them as I can use them for flash cards for my grand kids when I sit them and help them to learn their numbers.

Happy Teaching.

By joesgirl

I would like to make a greeting card for one of my "bridge playing friends" using some cards from a deck of cards. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pam from Wilmington, NC

You could put all 4 aces together on the front of a card (made from strong paper folded in half) and inside write "your aces"

Thank you....that's a good one.....

You could find 52 different pictures of her and stuff she likes, glue them on each card, cover with varnish or white glue,,a special deck of card, mind you it is a long project but a keepsake.