Cleaning a Child's Ears with Peroxide

My son has tubes in his ears. Should I use peroxide to clean them and if I do what's the side effects?

By Amanda S. from Kitts Hill, OH

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Do NOT put anything in your child's ears without contacting his doctor first. I am a nurse and I would say please ask MD questions like this. Hope things go well.

Especially since your child has tubes, you need to speak to his physician!

Absolutely Not! When a person has tubes in their ears, they should never even get water in their ears from bathing. To purposely put a liquid in is short of endangerment. Tubes go through the ear drum and open the middle ear to help dry it out. Peroxide would be able to get into the middle ear and could damage the bones responsible for hearing, causing permenent hearing loss--permenent deafness could be a possibility. If you child had tubes placed in their ears, it was explained to you to keep the ears DRY--it is a requirement, not a suggestion.

I had tubes in my ears two or three times and I would say never do this again...Never! Give him benadryl before they take them out to keep him from panicking.

Also do research on diets that eliminate yeast and preservatives. It is hard, I know, to deal with Ear infections, but tubes are never the answer. I am speaking from experience. I hope I am not sounding judgmental, but I have been there and it didnt' help.

Let me know if I can help you in any way. Blessings, Robyn

47 Tennessee

Answer

Parenting Toddler and Preschooler HealthAugust 5, 2009
Parenting an Autistic Child, Diamond shaped traffic sign warning, autistic child area.
Parenting an Autistic Child
Chihuahua puppy
Puppy's Ears Aren't Standing Up
Uses for Hydrogen Peroxide
Uses for Hydrogen Peroxide
Cleaning With Hydrogen Peroxide
Cleaning With Hydrogen Peroxide
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2016 at 5:36:17 PM on 10.0.1.78 in 836 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.