Cleaning a Child's Ears with Peroxide

My son has tubes in his ears. Should I use peroxide to clean them and if I do what's the side effects?

By Amanda S. from Kitts Hill, OH

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By joy worley 08/05/2009

Do NOT put anything in your child's ears without contacting his doctor first. I am a nurse and I would say please ask MD questions like this. Hope things go well.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Especially since your child has tubes, you need to speak to his physician!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By susan 8 1,368 08/07/2009

Absolutely Not! When a person has tubes in their ears, they should never even get water in their ears from bathing. To purposely put a liquid in is short of endangerment. Tubes go through the ear drum and open the middle ear to help dry it out. Peroxide would be able to get into the middle ear and could damage the bones responsible for hearing, causing permenent hearing loss--permenent deafness could be a possibility. If you child had tubes placed in their ears, it was explained to you to keep the ears DRY--it is a requirement, not a suggestion.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Robyn Fed 394 1,240 02/05/2010

I had tubes in my ears two or three times and I would say never do this again...Never! Give him benadryl before they take them out to keep him from panicking.

Also do research on diets that eliminate yeast and preservatives. It is hard, I know, to deal with Ear infections, but tubes are never the answer. I am speaking from experience. I hope I am not sounding judgmental, but I have been there and it didnt' help.

Let me know if I can help you in any way. Blessings, Robyn
47 Tennessee

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No