Preparing an Unstuffed Turkey

For those of you that's like me and don't like a stuffed turkey, here's a easy recipe for cooking an unstuffed turkey for your Thanksgiving dinner.

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Remove the neck and giblets from your turkey. Rinse the entire bird (inside and out) in cold water, then pat it dry with paper towels.

Place the turkey (breast side up) in baking pan. Lightly salt the inside and out of the turkey. Brush the skin with cooking oil and season again.

Place a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh. Cover with foil, leave an air space between the turkey and the foil. Remove the foil the last hour of cooking. The turkey is done and can be removed from the oven when the thermometer reads 170 degrees F or when the turkey's drumsticks move easily in place and the juices run clear from the thigh.

The time it takes to cook the turkey depends on the uncooked weight of the turkey. Here's an easy guide: 8-12 lbs. cooks for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, 12-14 lbs. cooks for 3-3 3/4 hours, 14-18 lbs. cooks for 3 3/4 - 4 1/4 hours,

*Add 15 to 30 minutes to these times when roasting a stuffed turkey*

Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving!

Anna from South Carolina

By Jennifer (Guest Post) 11/27/2008

Thank you for posting. This will be the 1st Thanksgiving I am hosting, as well as the 1st turkey I'm cooking. This takes the fear out of the day with this easy recipe! Happy Turkey Day!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By gigi (Guest Post) 11/27/2008

Great suggestions! Also, a tip I've been using for years. Keep 1" of water in the roasting pan for steaming your turkey. The turkey will then be very moist and NOT dry. Then use drippings to add to gravy mixture.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Post a Comment