Using Large Ziploc Bags to Brine a Turkey

Category Meat
Depending on the size of your turkey, you may be able to substitute a large Ziploc type bag for the pricier brining bags when preparing your turkey for roasting. This is a guide about using large Ziploc bags to brine a turkey.

Can you use a XXL size Ziploc bag to brine a medium size turkey in? I can't seem to find a large 5 gal. pot that will cover my turkey. I have also found some brining bags on Martha Stewart's website for $4 each. Have anyone tried those?

Answers

Best Answer

The Ziploc bags are all made of the same material, so the XXL one should work fine for the turkey. Set it on a rimmed cookie sheet just in case of a puncture, and to prevent the rolling mentioned by an earlier poster!

By Dannie (Guest Post)

I'm not sure about the Ziplock brand (the XXL ones I have only say "not recommended for microwave use"). You may want to contact Ziplock about it.But the Hefty Jumbo (2.5 gallon) are for food storage also. I don't know if they make a larger size.

I've done this! You'll want to double bag xxl freezer bags or oven bags and set them in a large bowl in the fridge.

By (Guest Post)

I don't have room in my fridge to brine a turkey, so I use a cooler. I put lots of ice chunks in and around the turkey and it stays nicely all night until ready to grill or bake.

I make ice chunks in 3 pound tubs that I get margarine in. Or cottage cheese containers work also.