Using Ziploc Bags

Don't you hate it when the tomato starts dripping all over your hand while eating a sandwich, or the onion falls out, or the grease runs down your hand from that juicy hamburger? No more! I keep a box of Snack Plastic Bags handy. They are only about 6 x 3 inches - just the right size to fit the bottom of your sandwich in. Once slid in there and you start to eat your sandwich or burger, there is no mess. It is all in the bottom of the plastic bag! Sometimes the vegetables and/or meat start to slide down and out of your sandwich on to the floor. But in the small plastic bag, just keep a couple of your fingers on the bottom and they keep the ingredients from slipping out.

9 More Solutions

My husband's job keeps him away from home for weeks at a time, so I'm usually cooking for just myself. I came up with this method of preparing them, and then freezing them.

When I need an extra set of hands to hold open the baggies so I can put in the soup that I want to freeze, and don't have my hubby around, I just use a giant quart size cup and place a baggie inside of it. I'm able to drop anything into that "baggied cup" and then pull it right out when it's filled, and do that for as many batches as I want to freeze.

A baggie inside a plastic cup, for packaging food for the freezer.

I use Ziploc bags to organize my arts and crafts. I put my stickers, ribbon, scissors, markers, tape, and glue in the bags. You can even label them and a box of Ziploc bags doesn't cost that much if you buy a box at a dollar store.

Use a plastic Ziploc bag and rubber band to cover cans when opened. You can reuse the Ziploc baggie by rinsing the outside and putting it back in the drawer for use.

I would like the recipe for cooking eggs in Ziploc bags in a microwave?

By Gordon

Answers

Best Answer

Believe me, you don't want the recipe! It's a big no no to do that because harmful chemicals leach out of the plastic bags and into your food. Even the manufacturers have it listed on their website FAQ pages that it is not recommended. You can purchase special inexpensive, reusable microwave egg cookware at places like WalMart and Target or online.

It's also a no no to use ziplock bags to boil food unless they are listed on the package as a boil bag. And even boil bags can't be used in the microwave.

Here's a link that will show you pictures of a small assortment of the many types of microwave egg cookers available:

www.best-deal.com/.../?utm_source=msn&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term...

Best Answer

Whoa! I've NEVER heard of cooking eggs in Ziplock (or other) bags in a microwave! To add to Deeli's comments ... eggs can burst in a microwave oven and make a heckuva mess! Sealing in a plastic bag would be no better.

Never put whole eggs in the shell in a microwave, and always at least poke the yolk as well. I "nuke" eggs all the time. I break the egg(s) into a bowl and just whip with a fork. Depending on the power of the oven, it takes about a minute (plus or minus) for one egg. There are many recipes ideas for eggs this way, but I won't go into that here. Suffice to say, DO NOT try to cook eggs in plastic bags or sealed containers in a microwave.

Best Answer

I think you mean 'omelet in a bag'. For one person, put on a sml or med pan with water and bring to a boil. In a zippy quart size freezer bag, put one or two eggs not in shell, add whatever omelet ingredients you like, ham, cheese, tomatoe, etc. not a lot. Squish the bag with your hand to mix the omelet. Close the bag and put it in boiling water (standing up) and cook for 13 min. Remove bag carefully, open, and the omelet will roll out on to your plate. I make them frequently.

Answer this Question

I have been told by one of my friends in USA that to prevent flies from being an area you just half fill a Ziplock bag with water and put some pennies in it seal it up and hang it were flies get into the house. Does this work? And also we don't actually have pennies here so would any other coin still work?

By Sharron from South Australia

Answers

I have plastic bags hanging at both of my outside doors and no flies! Have not used any other coin but the penny, but the contrast color against the baggie and water is what gives it the "bug eye" look.

I have 3 of the bags hanging on my back porch. Although they haven't deterred 100% of the flies, it has made a HUGE difference. I am now thinking of putting them on my front porch as well.

Why not try a brown (or other dark color) button?

I don't know what purpose the coin serves. I fish a lot and I know of several bait shops in Texas and Arkansas that have open live bait vats and they swear by those hanging ziploc bags of water. I never noticed a coin in any of them, but lately I've heard of the coin addition, too.

Sharron, I'd be happy to mail you some pennies for you to try. Have ThriftyFun send me your mailing address. Several cousins have used this trick for years. I only found out about it about 6 years ago. And it does work. Good Luck,
Great Granny Vi

I'd like to thank everyone for their input regarding my question. I will try the "plain water" version and also will try to put some different other coins in one or two to see what will happen - also, thank you to the kind lady who offered to send me some pennies.

The copper pennies keep the bags from getting algae. The pennies aren't necessary to keep the flies away. You just have to change the bag once the water starts getting green.

Just a bit of an update. I tried the water in the bag method but I think the flies were way to wiley to fall for that trick, we have been inundated with flies since the beginning of the warmer weather this year. They seem to be more aggressive too. Maybe my imagination so its back to the mortein or raid. Thanks again to all for your input.

Now this may be obvious to everyone but me, but how do you hang up a ziplock bag without puncturing it or ruining the "zipper"? -shoe

This is a page about filling Ziploc freezer bags. A large can, with both ends removed, is perfect for holding open a freezer bag while you fill it up. No more slumping bags, means that the outside of the bag stays clean too.

A large can being used to fill a freezer bag.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

Depending on the size of your turkey, you may be able to substitute a large Ziploc type bag for the pricier brining bags when preparing your turkey for roasting. This is a page about using large Ziploc bags to brine a turkey.

Brined Turkey Ready to Cook

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

If you need to frost something but don't have a pastry bag, you can use a ziplock bag as a quick and easy substitute. This is a page about use ziploc bag for frosting.

Frosting in Ziploc bag.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Helpful HintsOctober 5, 2014
😷
🌻
🎃
🎂
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Using-Ziploc-Bags.html