Repel Houseflies With Bags Of Water

Bags of water DO repel common houseflies!

This is resurrecting a topic that's been posted here by others, but I've tried this hint and I'm really impressed.

You see, when I bought my property last year, I "inherited" 2 semi-feral cats who, since, have had litters that then had litters, and so on. Well, the newest little guys have taken to hanging around my side porch, where my kitchen door is. And for the last week, I seemed to be surrounded by flies every time I used this door, flies that follow me in, creating another nuisance. It took a few days before I realized that the kittens were pooing just outside the door, in the corner.

So I put a litter box there the other day, and they are using that. Still, it's too close to the door until I can begin to move it slowly away. The flies, meanwhile, continued to swarm.

Last night, after having read about the water in a bag tip, I suspended a plastic bag half-full of water from my doorknob, using a laundry "?"-clip. This morning, only 1 or 2 flies greeted me. Hurray!

Though I love to know how things work, the point is, the bag of water works for me. Of course, whether it will continue to work remains to be seen. Still, I can now use my kitchen door without fear of being besieged by flies.

Source: Previous posts on ThriftyFun, & other web sources in a Google search.

By Nica from Big Bend WV

I also heard of this but with a couple of pennies in the bag. I don't know how it works but its worth a try!

Great tip! I've read (somewhere on here, too, I think!) that the water bag also works for bees and wasps - something about the way the water reflection interacts with the insects' multi-faceted eyes tricks them into thinking that it's a spiderweb ( the poster mentioning the pennies is also right; the pennies are the "spiders").

We have used this at our drive thru window in our coffeehouse. It seems to make a difference, and definitely was a curiosity to our customers.

I like your tip, I'm going to try it. Why don't you get your ferals fixed before you have a really big problem? You will be overrun with cats soon. Look to the shelters for low-cost spaying and neutering, or a local feral group. If you feed, it's only responsible to neuter. Another resource is "Alley Cat Allies" - they should be able to refer you to support in your community. Good Luck to you.

I wonder if that works for thos pesky little tiny flies that get into my citrus trees. I suppose I could try hanging a bag of water from one of the branches. I also have problems with webs on my trees, like spider webs, Does anyone have a home remedy for the pests that cause these?

Home and Garden Pest Control FliesSeptember 1, 2009
Oranges in Mesh Bag
Uses for Mesh Orange Bags
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags, Coins in Zip-Lock Bag
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags
Plants That Repel Insects: Spearmint Plant
Plants That Repel Insects
Using Garlic to Prevent Fleas
Using Garlic to Prevent Fleas
🎄