Homemade Fly Traps

Houseflies can be extremely annoying and hard to get rid of. They can also carry many diseases. Once they get in your house they're nearly impossible to get rid of. Stop these pets and save money by making your own fly traps. This is a page about homemade fly traps.

Take any jar and squirt some jelly inside. Put a funnel in the jar. Some flies will go into the jar through the funnel and some will hang around the outside lid of the jar. Vacuum the outside flies, then lift the funnel a bit and vacuum the inside flies that are still flying around, not the ones that have died. When you vacuum the flies from the jar, look around the room, near the ceiling for other flies, and vacuum them too.

Now, locate the food source of the flies. It could be a compost pail, a garbage pail, cat litter or even a piece of fruit that has fallen behind the stove. Once you have gotten rid of your current infestation, change the litter, compost, etc. every 6 or 7 days. This will prevent any fly maggots from maturing to the adult stage, because it takes them at least 8 days.

You can use a similar process for killing outdoor mosquitoes. Give them one or more dishes of water, placed in the shade, like under a bush. The female will lay her eggs in the water. Change the water every six days, which is not long enough for the eggs to hatch.

More Tips

Share a TipCheck out these tips or, if you have something to add to this page, click to share your own tip!

Ok, so I had a FLY problem! I got on the computer and found a lot of homemade fly traps. I used all the ones I saw with no success so I figured I would try and come up with something.

Within seconds, my fly problem was no longer!

6 Questions

What are the best ingredients to add to a fly trap around the horse barn? I have been using a smelly bait and I would like to try something made with natural ingredients.

By cindi from Ocala, FL

Answers

Best Answer

Smack a dozen or so flies and put their carsasses in the bottle that's half full of water. Every time I dumped mine I didn't dump it completely always leaving some dead flies in there.

If you make your barn dark by covering windows (green garbage bags work) and hanging a floor length canvas or old set of drapes in the doorway few flies will enter and the animals will get a reprieve.

Best Answer

Hi Cindi.
Ever hear of that old saying "you can attract more flies with honey than vinegar"? I'd try taking "takelababy's" suggestion of water in a large mouth bottle or larger container and add some honey to the mix.

I don't have horses, wish I did :) but if the flies get thick and take up permanent residence in the house and/or garage, I will take used jar lids, drop in a tablespoon or so of honey in each, and place discretely in different areas.

(No one wants to actually see this as it's truly disgusting how many you will catch!) Good luck!

Best Answer

Stinky bait or not, I hang the traps where there is plenty of light, in other words, outside, not in the barn. The flies around a barn bite the animals yet seem drawn to the smell of milk souring along with a little raw meat. Those are natural products. Even fly carcasses rotting in water will attract other flies.

Answer this Question

How do I make a good fly trap for both the inside and outside of my home?

By Jenn P from Burlington, WY

Answers

Best Answer

Use a thick square of paper, such as construction paper, some dark molasses. Spead a thin layer on each side of the paper, attach a wire or small string for hanging.

You can do the same thing if you prefer the strips. Just cut the paper into strips and hang.

Answer this Question

Does anyone have a for sure, easy, homemade fly trap?

We go through an awful lot of fly traps during the summer months with the animals. Does anyone have a homemade recipe for the liquid you put in a jug?

Home and Garden Pest Control FliesOctober 21, 2011
😷
🌻
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf35188732.tip.html