Using Garlic to Prevent Fleas

Category Fleas
The presence of garlic can repel fleas if used safely. This guide is about using garlic to repel fleas.

I've responded to questions and tips several times regarding giving garlic to pets for flea control or assorted other reasons, but maybe it will be more helpful if posted as a tip that might reach more folk? Please consider reading up about Heinz-Body anemia before you make the decision to give garlic in any form, or anything in the alliums family for that matter, to a pet. Personally, I wouldn't risk the health of my pet when there are other safe alternatives available. Here are two really good links to begin your homework with:

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Can I give my dog garlic power?

By Margo from wilm dem

Answers

Garlic and onion can cause hemolytic anemia in animals. I wouldnt take the chance.

How much and how often do I give raw garlic to my 60-70 pound dog?

By Jan N

Answers

Why don't you ask a vet. He would have a better understanding of your question as it relates to the health of your dog. Dogs eat a lot of stuff but I don't think garlic should be one of them.

Anonymous

Absolutely none! Anything in the allium plant family, such as garlic, onions and plants such as lillies, can be quite toxic to dogs in many ways including causing severe anemia.

I would not give garlic to a dog because it can be toxic.Also toxic to your dog is chocolate,rasins,onions,heavy fats,pork and turkey should not be given causes a problem with their stomachs called bloat and can be quite painful for your dog.

Turkey is ok according to my vet. In fact his technician gave me a doggie meat loaf that calls for ground meat, chicken, beef, or turkey. Of course the bulk of the loaf is rice, oats, wheat germ and even pinto beans. It also includes a very small amount of garlic powder for flavor. I haven't asked my vet but I'd never give my dog a garlic clove. My dog loves this recipe.

Garlic is a known cause of hemolytic anemia in dogs.

I was wondering how much garlic I can use on my dogs that weigh approximately 10-17 lbs? They have fleas.

By Brenda from Ontario, CA

Answers

And will you or the dog enjoy the odor of garlic if you decide to try it?

Garlic does not work and any member of the onion family is a no-no for dogs as it can be toxic, along with chocolate and raisins. It doesn't repel them and it certainly doesn't kill them. Feeding the dog a natural good quality diet does make a dog less likely to be tempting to a flea as they do prefer unhealthy dogs for some reason. Fleas and other parasites got for the unhealthy, weak and young, those with immune systems not up to par. SO making your dog as healthy as possible is the best flea remedy.

There are a few natural or herbal ways to keep fleas away but they don't work totally. They work some of the time, for some dogs and cats. You can mix cut-up lemons with boiling water and let it sit overnight. Now you can use it in a spray bottle. Spray your dog around his ears and neck, not in his eyes of course. And spray all along his back to his tail dock area and don't forget his armpits and belly. Anywhere you'd expect to find fleas.

Shake some tea tree oil and almond oil with 10 drops of lavender oil and 5 drops of cedarwood oil. Put a few drops where you'd put Frontline like around the neck and tail dock area couple times a week. If your dog is of collie mix don't use tea tree oil as they ae a bit sensitive to it. Just use the almond oil. You can also make a tea tree oil and water spray for non-collie dogs.

Crumbling pennyroyal or placing some in in his bed is a good idea, too. You can sprinkle pennyroyal on your carpet and then vacuum up a few hours later. Plant it around your yard or kennel as fleas don't like it.

With all due respect to "foxrun41" I'm not convinced this debate is settled: I know several people who use garlic powder to successfully inhibit fleas and all of their dogs are healthy.

Brenda, I would suggest doing more research on this issue yourself, since the consensus is not unanimous, and use your best judgment with your own dogs.

"foxrun41" I'd be happy to review your source that claims garlic and/or onions are entirely toxic to dogs, but I don't know what source you are citing from. You are the only one I've ever heard state this, but that doesn't mean you are incorrect.

Maybe it has more to do with amounts than actual consumption?!?! Or whether it is cooked, raw, powdered, etc. Again, I know several that use powdered garlic to control fleas on dogs with zero health problems in those dogs. I also know that my own dogs have consumed cooked onions (minimal amount) in human leftovers with no ill effects.

Again, no disrespect intended at all to "foxrun41". I'm just suggesting to Brenda that for things not written in concrete, continued research is a responsibility we each have for our own.

Anonymous

I have to add a bit more here. Anything in the Allium family (garlic and onions of any sort) have high concentrations of thiosulphate, a compound that causes damage to red blood cells and leads to 'Heinz factor anemia' where the red blood cells burst. Dogs and cats do not have the enzymes to properly digest thiosulphate. This is a more serious problem with cats than with dogs but serious for both species nonetheless.

Raw garlic or onions should never be given to your pet. Alliums in any form can be harmful to your pet's health and can easily build up toxic levels depending on the pet's size, breed and health (a big no no for a pet with diabetes). This build up can occur over periods of time and can lead to the accidental poisoning of your pet.

Garlic can indeed be toxic and especially when it's combined with chocolate and/or raisins so if you decide in your heart of hearts to use garlic to get rid of a pet's fleas you really need to keep raisins and chocolate out of your pet's diet. (Raisins and chocolate in and of themselves can have serious effects all by themselves as well).

Personally, I would call a few vets in your area and ask their advice and the advice you hear most often, and your heart/soul, will give you the answer. As for myself, I wouldn't risk giving anything in any amount to a pet that could potentially be dangerous. There are other alternatives with some research for your particular situation. You just have to do some leg work.

Do not use pennyroyal around any pets and certainly not around anyone that is pregnant. It was used as a "natural" abortion product. It will cause pregnant dogs or cats to abort, it can also cause pregnant women to abort.

I have used garlic in my dogs food for years, and I have Border Collies now, and Shelties in the past. None were adversely affected by the garlic. I have also used "wettable" sulfur powder in my dogs water to help control fleas.

Do your homework on pennyroyal before considering having any of it around, dried or fresh. You certainly don't want to plant it in your yard, it is in the mint family, and will take your yard over. You don't want your dogs, cats or any other animals walking across it and taking a chance on it harming them.

Garlic is safe for dogs. While the onion has thiosulphate, the garlic of the same family does not contain any thiosulphate.

I don't buy the advice you should ever use home remedies on yourself or pets. I eat garlic regularly, as did my mother and father. My father passed at age 108 and my mother was in good health until Alzheimer's took her at 83.

I'm 68 years and strong as a bull. You can repel fleas on cats by rubbing garlic and vinegar water into their fur a couple of times a week with no adverse effects. I had two cats which I used this remedy on and one lived to 21 years and the other to 11. It would have lived longer if it had been born with two kidneys instead of one.

Most vets and doctors are honest but they are still in business to make money. They will often have you coming back for mostly un-necessary treatments and test. Unless you or your animal have some apparently serious illness or injury, let time heal it.

If you put garlic in dog food will it keep fleas off your dog?

By Mike H.

At what age can I give a puppy garlic for flea protection?

By Eliot

I bought some garlic gel-caps, 1000mg. I was wondering how much to give a 7lb dog?

By Brandice

Is it true that you can use garlic as a flea treatment for dogs? I was told that you give the dog a little bit of garlic every day and it gets into the bloodstream which helps keep the fleas away.

By Kac from Bennington, VT

Answers

I read on a website, that garlic is poisonous to dogs.

No garlic; no onions. Sorry, but you can buy reasonably priced flea treatment through this link.
http://cheapfrontlineplus.com/

Best check with your vet or a vet school and do more research on this one. I've also read that it is dangerous (anonymous source) but, my sister has been adding garlic powder to her dogs' food with great results in eliminating fleas. And they live in a very warm, humid climate where fleas thrive. All three of her dogs (three different breeds) are healthy and without fleas.

Sometimes, home remedies are shunned by those with a vested interest in promoting other products. NOT SAYING that this is the case in this situation, just that it's important to research these things carefully and thoroughly. Just because someone wrote something on the web doesn't necessarily mean it's true. Verify the authority of the source before making your decision to try or not.

Is brewers yeast with garlic tablets good for them?

By Kato from Mobile, AL

If you put garlic powder on your dog/cat and they lick it off, when it's in their blood will it stop fleas and ticks from biting? Or will it harm your best friends (pets)?

By C dub from Wichita Falls

I have a 60 lb. Husky and Dalmatian mix. I want to know how much garlic to give her and how often. Can I give her fresh garlic? Thank you.

By kt

If I boil up some garlic cloves in water and spray the residue on my dog, do you think it would get rid of fleas?

By Tracey B

Answers

It might! My mom used to buy garlic powder (I think from the vitamin section). She'd sprinkle about a tablespoon full over their food and mix it in. They never seemed to notice, and it was supposed to help repel fleas (also easier & less stinky!).

There are a lot of remedies on earthclinic.com. I have found lemon juice sprayed on the ferrets and rubbed in keeps a lot of fleas off of them. I put about a teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar per four cups of water for the dogs in the really bad part of flea season. Also we do advantage and one of the dogs does comfortis. Fleas are really bad t his year. Salt put under sheets and on carpet for a few days and then vacuumed up off the carpet kills flea eggs. and vacuum all the time to get the fleas and kill them.

That is a really good idea. Here is the link to the natural remedies for fleas, and dont forget the flea comb~
http://www.eart  /Pets/fleas.html

Blessings,
Robyn

I bought a bottle of garlic in gel cap form (500 mg) for fleas on my dog, but I am hesitant about giving my 12 lb. Dachshund her first dose. Anyone else using the garlic gel-caps for fleas and how many mgs. do you use?

By Luann from NY

Answers

You can see for yourself by doing a Google search on people foods for dogs about what is alright and what isn't to give a dog, sorry, but onions and garlic are harmful and can cause health issues. Please avoid using garlic for flea treatment.

Anonymous

Garlic And Pets
Please consider reading up about Heinz-body anemia before deciding to give garlic in any form, or anything in the allium family for that matter, to any pet.
http://www.exot  vian/onions.html
http://www.k9ma  e/iss31p13.shtml

Can I use garlic for flea control on my cats?

By tsadybug from Fairfield, PA

Answers

Anonymous

According to this website, new research shows that raw garlic can cause a dangerous form of anemia and even lead to death in cats.
http://www.care  s-for-cats.html#

No, never give garlic to a cat or dog. Please consult your Vet for a safe flea control. Read what the ASPCA Poison Control Center says about garlic: http://www.aspc  eople-foods.html

Jennifer
Northern Virginia

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I buy garlic pills (the gel-caps) and poke a hole in one gel-cap with a needle and squeeze the oil into my dogs food about 5 days a week.

Not only is it good for their coat and health, but it does wonder to deter fleas and ticks. Living in the woods, we have a lot of wild animals running through our yard at night, and I have not seen a flea or a tick on my dog.

By David from Ellsworth, ME

Comment Like this photo? 10

How much garlic powder do I give my 50 lb. dog to prevent fleas?

By Eddie from Dallas, TX

Answers:

How Much Garlic Should I Use to Prevent Fleas?

I have heard that garlic and onions are on the list of toxic substances for dogs. Please check this out first. (07/20/2010)

By merlene

Absolutely none! Anything from the Allium family of plants can be toxic to dogs! It affects their red blood cells and can cause anemia, among other health problems over time. It is not worth the risk even in small amounts. (07/21/2010)

By Deeli

People, people, people! I have fed my dog garlic powder sprinkled over his food and he is healthy, spry and his coat is beautiful, and not one flea! So, listen to your vet tell you it's bad for them (but they get kick-backs for selling flea protection as well as a huge profit) or listen to those that have used it for years and saved big $$$ over paying out.

**Above all, chemicals are never better!** (09/15/2010)

By friv2004

As a veterinarian of 31 years, I typically send people over to a store named, Southern States. I believe they have a website too. They carry a product by Excel called Brewer Yeast with Garlic. It is in a tablet form. This is the best way to provide the garlic to your dog. The bottle contains 1000 chew tabs for around $10.00 (09/29/2010)

By William

They say to give your dog half a clove of garlic in there food daily for fleas. Will this work for ticks also? I am having a big problem with them!

Donna from Jacksonville, FL

Answers:

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

Actually I head that garlic and onions (and even raisins) can be toxic to dogs. You'd probably be better off talking to your vet before you do anything. (03/31/2006)

By halloweenfreak

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

My advise is to check with your vet and have the doctor put your dog on something like Program, Sentinel, or Frontline. Don't rely on garlic alone. (03/31/2006)

By Anonymous

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

Wal Mart has some garlic and yeast tablets to give to your pets. They love them, if you have more than one pet, they fight over them. The name of them is "Brewers Yeast". They are in the pet section and cost under $5 for a bottle of 100. It also has omega oils and vitamins. It makes their coats shiny. Good luck. (04/01/2006)

By Janice from LA

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

Please take your dog to the vet and get dog medicine. There are wonderful remedies that the vet can recommend for fleas and ticks that work well. (04/01/2006)

By sylviecyn

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

You can put brewers yeast on their food. Hartz also makes a great topical (once a month). Just be sure to check size. (04/01/2006)

By camo_angels

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

If you go with an OTC topical repellent (fleas/ticks and mosquitoes by the way). Tell your vet because it can be like an overdose. And read what the vet recommends before actually giving it to them. Some of these new combos can double up, making a sensitive dog VERY sick. (04/01/2006)

By camo_angels

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

Yes, onions kill dogs, as well as grapes! They affect something in their blood. (maybe other foods too). Garlic is reported to actually work perhaps, but also can present some very serious health consequences to pets for the same reason. Check with a vet and be very cautious when giving supplements to your pets and to people, too! Many supplements and medicines for people can be quite harmful or fatal to our pet companions. (04/01/2006)

By kidsNclutter

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

It is better to talk to your vet first. Over the years, there has been new information about our pets' diet.

My father-in-law fed his two dogs fresh garlic every day. The dogs smelled so bad, their breath was unbearable. No one wanted these dogs near them because of their awful odor. They both died of a liver problem less than a year apart which now makes me wonder if by giving them garlic caused their health problem.

By the way, the dogs still got fleas. They had to have their home "bombed" a few times by an exterminator. (04/01/2006)

By mkymlp

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

In California we always used eucalyptus
leaves and put that on dog's bed and made
a collar from the little round things from the eucalyptus trees. It helps for fleas and we never had
fleas on our dog or 3 indoor outdoor cats who each
wore those collars. (04/02/2006)

By meoowmom

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

Onions are toxic, but garlic is safe in moderate doses. It takes a huge amount of garlic in one serving to overdose. I have used garlic tablets for 4 years with no problems and have proof it works for fleas and ticks. My dog hunts and never gets ticks, but the other dogs that go do. (04/21/2006)

By Christy

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

"Please do not poison your dog with garlic". Please see this link from National Geographic. I used to give my dog garlic, thinking I was doing her a favor. She got Addison's disease and I always wonder if that's why. Please see this link.

nationalgeographic.com (08/17/2009)

By amino

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

As a veterinarian of 31 years, I typically send people over to a store named, Southern States. I believe they have a website, too. They carry a product by Excel specifically for dogs called Brewers Yeast with Garlic. It is in a tablet form. This is the best way to provide the garlic to your dog. In addition, the tablets contain Omega 3 and B-Complex. The bottle contains 1000 chew tabs for around $10.00. (09/29/2010)

By William

Can I feed my dog garlic salt on her food for fleas?

By little bit from Gadsden, AL

Answers:

No, I don't think so. (09/18/2009)

By veda815

Alliums (onions and garlic) are poisonous to dogs and depending on their age, weight and health, even small amounts can be lethal to them. :-( (09/19/2009)

By Deeli

Please don't give your dog garlic salt. No salt for canines! Please! (09/22/2009)

By islandsage

Hello, I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years. Please do not give your dog garlic, this is an old wives tale that it gets rid of fleas. Take your dog to his groomer for a bath and then apply some Advantage once a month, you can get this from your Vet. Good luck. (09/22/2009)

By K9cats

First off, garlic salt is not the same as garlic cloves or fresh chopped garlic, much less strength in the salt product, but regardless, garlic really does not do anything to rid the fleas, just gives the dog stinky breath! You also do not want to add salt to a pet's diet as it can throw them out of wack with increased salt intake. Try using Vitamin D, 2 a day seems to work.

Also, you can use lavender oil on the bed that they sleep in, fleas hate lavender. It works to plant lavender around your house to keep them out of your yard as well. We use the yeast tablets from the health store. We have a 200 pound "puppy," he is a Newfoundland, we give him 2 tablets twice a day as we did for our other dogs and we have absolutely no fleas. I would know if they were still here, as I am allergic to the bites and have not had a single one in two years. Best of luck to you! (09/22/2009)

By Beau D

I have read in countless places, including here, that feeding my dogs garlic every day will help keep the fleas off of them. My question is, how much?

I have read different postings about garlic to get rid of the fleas. Is it okay to give the dogs oil from the minced garlic in the jar in their food?

I read that putting garlic oil in dog food prevents fleas. What I'd like to know is how much garlic should she ingest a day?

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.