How Much Garlic Should I Use to Prevent Fleas?

Can I feed my dog garlic salt on her food for fleas?

By little bit from Gadsden, AL

Answers:

No, I don't think so. (09/18/2009)

By veda815

Alliums (onions and garlic) are poisonous to dogs and depending on their age, weight and health, even small amounts can be lethal to them. :-( (09/19/2009)

By Deeli

Please don't give your dog garlic salt. No salt for canines! Please! (09/22/2009)

By islandsage

Hello, I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years. Please do not give your dog garlic, this is an old wives tale that it gets rid of fleas. Take your dog to his groomer for a bath and then apply some Advantage once a month, you can get this from your Vet. Good luck. (09/22/2009)

By K9cats

First off, garlic salt is not the same as garlic cloves or fresh chopped garlic, much less strength in the salt product, but regardless, garlic really does not do anything to rid the fleas, just gives the dog stinky breath! You also do not want to add salt to a pet's diet as it can throw them out of wack with increased salt intake. Try using Vitamin D, 2 a day seems to work.

Also, you can use lavender oil on the bed that they sleep in, fleas hate lavender. It works to plant lavender around your house to keep them out of your yard as well. We use the yeast tablets from the health store. We have a 200 pound "puppy," he is a Newfoundland, we give him 2 tablets twice a day as we did for our other dogs and we have absolutely no fleas. I would know if they were still here, as I am allergic to the bites and have not had a single one in two years. Best of luck to you! (09/22/2009)

By Beau D