How long does it take to defrost a turkey?

How long does it take to defrost a 20 lb turkey?

Kathy from Nutley, NJ

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Hello! I'm not so familiar with american measures (I just live in Poland. :) ), but from my experience, a turkey- about 3.5 - -4.0 kg, (7-8 lbs.) needs around 6 hours to be defrosted. Usually it's better to left it for all night outside of refrigerator, but in fact, I prefer to buy the turkey just one day before I'll prepare it...

I know - it's really a big difference between our countries, but hope this helps. :)

I would leave it in the refridgerator for like 5 days. I know a 12 pound turkey took 3 days and was still a little frozen when removing giblets. I would say 5 should do it. Besides, if it defrosts in only 4 days one extra day in the fridge will not harm the turkey. Also, if you are in a pinch for time and need to defrost quickly you can place it in a CLEAN sink with water and keep changing out the water frequently. Hope that helps!

I just defrosted my 20 lb turkey for Thanksgiving and I put it still wrapped in my kitchen sink and covered it with cold water. I changed the water every 30 mins. and it only took 2 hours to defrost.

Thawed Turkey
Thawing a Turkey
Food and Recipes FreezingJanuary 3, 2007
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
A cooked turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in a Slow Cooker (Crockpot)
Carving a Turkey
Using Your Turkey Bones for Soup
Meatballs cooking in sauce.
Using Frozen Meatballs
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 18, 2017 at 10:32:23 AM on 10.0.2.50 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.