Freezing Brussels Sprouts

Category Vegetables
Freezing Brussels sprouts is a great way to preserve their freshness. If you have more Brussels sprouts than you can use up right away, freeze them so you have them to use later. This is a guide bout freezing Brussels sprouts.

Selecting High-Quality Brussels Sprouts:

Select green (not yellow), firm and compact heads, with firm fitting leaves. They should look like tiny cabbages and not have a spongy or puffy texture. Small Brussels sprouts will be the most tender. Make sure to examine the heads carefully to make sure they are free from insects and damage.

Preparing for Freezing:

Trim the heads by removing coarse outer leaves. Wash thoroughly and sort heads by size-small, medium and large.

Blanching Time:

Water-blanch small heads for 3 minutes, medium heads 4 minutes and large heads 5 minutes. Add 1 minute for steam blanching. Cool promptly and drain.

Best Freezing Method(s):

It's not necessary to leave headspace for foods such as broccoli, asparagus and Brussels sprouts, because they do not pack tightly in containers.

Suitable Packaging:

Freezer containers should be moisture and vapor resistant and should not be prone to cracking or breaking at low temperatures. Containers should provide protection against absorbing flavors or odors and should be easy to label. Suitable packaging for freezing Brussels sprouts includes freezer-grade plastic bags, rigid plastic containers or glass containers and heavy-duty aluminum foil.

Maximum Storage Time:

10 to 12 months at 0ºF.

Thawing:

Brussels sprouts can be added to dishes for cooking directly from the freezer without thawing.

Tips & Shortcuts:

Before blanching, it's a good idea to immerse Brussels sprout in brine (4 teaspoons salt to 1 gallon water) for 30 minutes to remove insects.

Refrigerating Brussels sprouts:

Keep fresh Brussels sprouts in a perforated plastic bag for 2 to 3 weeks. Keep cooked Brussels in a covered container for up to 5 days.
Anonymous

I love to roast the leaves after coating with olive oil. If I freeze the Brussel sprouts, can I still separate the leaves to make my dish? Blanche or not blanch? Take leaves off first and then freeze? If frozen whole, should I peel leaves when frozen or wait until they thaw?

I froze some Brussels sprouts without blanching. Can they be saved?

I love to just wash, dry and package Brussels sprouts, cabbage and sliced/diced onions. All of these seem to do well without blanching and are ready to cook in very short time.

It does seem that my Brussels sprouts lose some of their color but the taste is still very good.

How long will they keep in the freezer?

I have found that my veggies stay "fresher" when placed in my true freezer instead of my refrigerator freezer. I believe this is due to being able to keep my freezer at a true 0 degree temperature and my refrigerator freezer door is opened more often and thus temperature fluctuates and may not stay at the same degree all the time. I just try to use my veggies within two months after freezing.

I tend to use freezer bags most of the time so I try to dry veggies well and remove as much air from bags as possible, then just date and keep putting newer bags behind the older ones. I very seldom have lost veggies when following this method.

If you defrost them to find they have gone mushy watery or disintegrated you could chop them to use in soups

Yes Ma'am, they can. Commercial packers don't blanch Brussels sprouts before freezing. Do keep them as air tight as possible.

Indeed they can be saved. Just make sure they are properly sealed with the least amount of air to prevent freezer burn. Brussel sprouts tend to burn easily.

Yes. You may lose something in the appearance or taste department if they stay frozen too long.

Prepare the Brussels sprouts by easing them, make an "x" in the root end, blanch in simmering salted water for about 2 minutes, immediately remove sprouts and plunge into a bowl of ice water, drain and put into freezer bags and place in freezer.

Yes but the cook time will be a little longer.

I love to roast my Brussels sprouts coated in a little olive oil. Is this still possible if I freeze them? Will I still be able to peel the leaves? Or should I peel and then freeze? They can't be mushy. Any ideas?

Frozen Brussels sprouts will be mushy as the freezing breaks down the cell structure. One way round this is to slice your sprouts up very finely, and then freeze them. When you come to cook them they can be sautéed at a high temperature in a little butter, and regain some crispness that way.

Brussels sprouts don't freeze well. If you do freeze them use them in soup

Can these vegetables be frozen without blanching?

By Enid

Best Answer

Yes you can freeze Brussels sprouts without blanching first. For years, I blanched mine then a friend who had an allotment gave me a glut of Brussels and told me just to wash and dry and then bag. They are better when cooked and taste good. I have been doing this for years now. I also do it with cabbage just cut up first and do the same wash, etc., onions just slice and bag.

Thanks for your tips, I prefer eat them raw chopped in salad. I am glad I can freeze them and cabbage and onions without blanching!

Do you have to blanch fresh Brussel sprouts before you freeze them?

By Pat

Yes. It will help them to maintain their color and texture.

Do you need to blanch or cook first? How do you freeze them?

By Maureen

Anonymous

Water blanching time table for brussels sprouts heads:

Small - 3 minutes

Medium - 4 minutes

Large - 5 minutes

Be sure to give the veggies an immediate ice water bath after the blanching to stop the cooking process. Pat veggies dry if you are going to be freezing them and remove as much air from the freezer bag as possible because both help to reduce freezer burn.