My Dachshund is around 39 days pregnant, I meant to have her spayed, but waited too long and my husband accidentally let her out. My neighbor let me know that he saw her tied up with a Scottie. I am very concerned and nervous for her to have puppies. Do they usually have a hard time or do I need to do anything?
By Chasity from TN
You should discuss this with your veterinarian or your dogs healthcare practitioner. Where she is only a month along you could still have her spayed safely avoiding this whole problem and contributing more cross bred puppies to an overpopulated world. In either case your dogs health care practitioner should be able to give you an idea based on her breed what her risks are. They may be unwilling to go into more detail than that without a consultation/office visit due to liability issues. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Please take your baby to your veterinarian for a checkup. Your baby needs extra care now. She might need extra calcium and maybe an x-ray to make sure she can deliver her babies. After she delivers and has weaned her puppies, please have her spay. Good luck
Please contact your vet, rather than wait to see what develops then it maybe too late. Please have her spayed as soon as possible. There are so many cats and dogs which need homes. Good luck to you.
I had the same thing happen to me, but with a male dachshund. Her delivery was fine, but I would definitely recommend a trip to the vet and then x-rays closer to the delivery since a Scottie is so much larger. You could also check on having her spayed now. I am not going to scold you for this because sometimes it happens and I know that you are trying to do your best for your dog.
Dachshunds are the most adorable dogs on the planet, and I have a lot of other dogs! And the puppies will be adorable I'm sure. But I would plan on spending some money, whether on the spaying, or possibly a C-section because of the puppies' size. Here in New Mexico, if you schedule a C-section with your usual vet and then end up at the emergency vet, they will charge you WAY less ($600 vs $2500). I learned this from a Labrador breeder that I know. Good luck and feel free to ask me any questions.
Please, please, please take your dog to the vet as soon as you can. A friend of mine just had the same issue with her dog (and those dogs were much closer in size than yours) 6 out of eight puppies were born still born days after they thought she was done birthing. It is very common after this happens that the mother dog get a severe infection from carrying around dead puppies in her body. If not treated correctly all the pups and the mother could die. I am not telling you this to alarm you only to help you make the right decision for your pet.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!