Browsing: Growing Morning Glory

Growing Morning Glories

Will Convolvulus Cantabrica (perennial morning glories) grow in mid-Michigan zone 6?

By Brenna

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Got this from gardenweb.forum- I also suggest you have a look at this site under this subject because I get the feeling that they'll take over-they're were called a 'noxious weed'.

RE: Looking for info on perennial morning glories clip this post email this post what is this?

ee most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by verenap 3a (My Page) on Mon, May 1, 06 at 22:12

Hunner - when you search for something like that and are getting a lot of sites coming up in other languages, try putting in what you are searching for and then add an English word related to your search. I use GOOGLE for all my searches and when I looked up 'Convolvulus cantabrica' I also got a lot of stuff in other languages. I redid the search with 'Convolvulus cantabrica' and added 'perennial' that way it took out all the pages I couldn't understand.

I found a few places that said it is hardy to zone 7-8, from southern Europe, a smaller plant 6-16" with "dainty" 1/2 - 1" blossoms, and "very nice in a rock garden". From the looks of it, you shouldn't have a problem with it taking over your yard/neighborhood/town...it doesn't look like this variety is on a quest to for global domination...at least not yet. ;-)

Verena

According to Dave's Garden "no". http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/107577/ sorry.

September 20, 2011 Flag

I have 2 places where I want to plant morning glories. One is at the foot of my mail box post. The other is in the ditch in front of my house (water does not flow through it due to past neighborhood kids tossing basketballs, etc. in there and now it's plugged up which suits me great).

My question is, how do I keep them from spreading? (Been there done that. OMG!) At the mailbox would be easy because I can plant them in a pot and only plant one or two on either side. But I can't figure out how to plant them in the ditch without them spreading all over the lawn.

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You actually can't stop them from reseeding but it is simple to pull up the ones you don't want as soon as they sprout.

Also you can cut down on the seeds by pulling up the plant when they start to produce a lot of pods. They are usually looking kinda ragged by that time anyway.

If you plant the kind that grow from seeds, just pull up the seedlings that start where you don't want them. If you plant the seedless kind, forget about keeping them from spreading. Can't be done. Wish I hadn't planted that kind several years ago.

The photo shows the front half of our 12' x 60' mobile home and the hedge next to it. There are even more this year, in spite of having a whole truckload cut down and taken away each October.

September 8, 2011 Flag

When are we suppose to plant the morning glories? Do I transplant as soon as I see them coming up in the peat moss pots or after they are bigger?

By Rosa Marie

You should probably transplant them in the fall when they have grown some more and are sturdier. They are a perennial, so you want to be sure they are strong enough to transplant.

June 10, 2010 Flag

I live in southeastern Ohio. Is it too late to start morning glories outside? It is going to be in the 80s today. I'm not sure how the weather works up here (I'm from Florida), so I am slowing learning. I am having to dig out clay and replace it with compost. Should I start them in the shade or plant them in full sun, in the morning sun?

Thanks, have a great day.

By seedlady from Caldwell, OH

May 29, 2009 Flag

I have a perennial Morning Glory that has rooted and adapted to Ohio, but is from California. The trouble is it never blooms, or rarely. It is in full sun. It has big blue flowers, and I was wondering if a chemical that is put on Hydrangeas to make them blue would help?

Hardiness Zone: 4b

By Barnie15614 from Columbus, OH

Answers:

Growing Morning Glories

You may just not be seeing it early enough in the mornings. Morning Glories only open up in the early morning, and they close up early again, too for the rest of the day. If that's not it, they might have adjusted to OH as far as growing, but not the blooming part yet. Try watching earlier in the mornings, and if that's not the problem, I'd check with a nursery and see what they say. (05/22/2009)

By Cricketnc

May 18, 2009 Flag

I purchased two Heavenly blue morning glories and was wondering what the temperature needed to be so I can plant them outside? I live in New Jersey and we haven't had consistent temperatures yet.

May 5, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Purple Morning Glory
Growing Morning Glory
Home and Garden Gardening FlowersJune 10, 2010
Blue and pinkish purple morning glory blooms.
Getting Rid of Morning Glory
Pregnant woman with morning sickness near bathroom sink
Morning Sickness Remedies
morning_glory_growing_slowly
Morning Glory Growing Slowly
Growing Morning Glory from Cuttings
Growing Morning Glory from Cuttings
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 16, 2016 at 2:07:35 PM on 10.0.0.240 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.