Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Growing Morning Glories

Will Convolvulus Cantabrica (perennial morning glories) grow in mid-Michigan zone 6?

By Brenna

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By susan [33]06/11/2010

According to Dave's Garden "no". http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/107577/ sorry.

By metroplex [81]06/11/2010

Got this from gardenweb.forum- I also suggest you have a look at this site under this subject because I get the feeling that they'll take over-they're were called a 'noxious weed'.

RE: Looking for info on perennial morning glories clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by verenap 3a (My Page) on Mon, May 1, 06 at 22:12

Hunner - when you search for something like that and are getting a lot of sites coming up in other languages, try putting in what you are searching for and then add an English word related to your search. I use GOOGLE for all my searches and when I looked up 'Convolvulus cantabrica' I also got a lot of stuff in other languages. I redid the search with 'Convolvulus cantabrica' and added 'perennial' that way it took out all the pages I couldn't understand.
I found a few places that said it is hardy to zone 7-8, from southern Europe, a smaller plant 6-16" with "dainty" 1/2 - 1" blossoms, and "very nice in a rock garden". From the looks of it, you shouldn't have a problem with it taking over your yard/neighborhood/town...it doesn't look like this variety is on a quest to for global domination...at least not yet. ;-)
Verena

Here are questions related to Growing Morning Glories.

Question: Planting Morning Glories

I live in Phoenix, Arizona; when is the best time to plant morning glories? What type of soil do they need? I have grown them before in another state with no problems, but coming to Arizona, it's a whole new situation. Please help me. If I have to grow them inside, I will. I will try anything. I know I have to let the heat pass, (common sense). I just need someone to help me. Thank you.

By Peggy

Question: Planting Morning Glories

I have 2 places where I want to plant morning glories. One is at the foot of my mail box post. The other is in the ditch in front of my house (water does not flow through it due to past neighborhood kids tossing basketballs, etc. in there and now it's plugged up which suits me great).

My question is, how do I keep them from spreading? (Been there done that. OMG!) At the mailbox would be easy because I can plant them in a pot and only plant one or two on either side. But I can't figure out how to plant them in the ditch without them spreading all over the lawn.

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

Most Recent Answer

By DeBushe [17]09/23/2011

If you plant the kind that grow from seeds, just pull up the seedlings that start where you don't want them. If you plant the seedless kind, forget about keeping them from spreading. Can't be done. Wish I hadn't planted that kind several years ago.

The photo shows the front half of our 12' x 60' mobile home and the hedge next to it. There are even more this year, in spite of having a whole truckload cut down and taken away each October.

RE: Planting Morning Glories

Question: Growing Morning Glories

When are we suppose to plant the morning glories? Do I transplant as soon as I see them coming up in the peat moss pots or after they are bigger?

By Rosa Marie

Most Recent Answer

By lara [16]09/08/2011

You should probably transplant them in the fall when they have grown some more and are sturdier. They are a perennial, so you want to be sure they are strong enough to transplant.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Growing Morning Glories

Morning Glories can be planted in the garden from seed but you'll have much earlier blooms if you start them indoors 5 or 6 weeks ahead of planting.

The Morning Glory loves to face East as they bloom in the mornings and fade away come the hot afternoon sun. So don't plant morning glories facing the West. Although they fade away each day new ones will be there to open up in the morning.

Morning glories readily reseed themselves and keeping them all in one place is almost impossible.

The little black seeds fall all over the place once the little 'pods' on the vines dry up and open, so plant morning glories in an area by themselves so they have free reign to do what Mother Nature intended them to do. MULTIPLY!

morningglory.jpg

By Sandra Hemstock

RE: Growing Morning Glories

Hi, Your Morning Glories are simply beautiful. Their blue is my favorite shade of blue, and I wish I had a wall facing east so that I could make it look like yours. It is a feast for the soul, and you are a lucky lady. Thank you for sharing with us. Julia in Orlando, FL (06/09/2005)

By Julia

RE: Growing Morning Glories

Do the morning glories come back every year or do they have to be replanted? Thanks, Sandy (06/09/2005)

By sandy morris

RE: Growing Morning Glories

They will come back every year for the rest of your life! Very invasive. Gail Beynon Glenn Dale, Maryland http://www.coumadincookbook.com (06/11/2005)

By ThriftyFun

RE: Growing Morning Glories

Morning glories are an annual plant, but produce plenty of seeds that start from the beginning each spring quite easily. without any help from the human gardener. Beth (06/11/2005)

By ThriftyFun

RE: Growing Morning Glories

I'm going to be planting a large pot of them in my house. I want them to grow around my living room and I was wondering if they'll be able to sustain growth in my living room? (06/15/2005)

By Kyle

RE: Growing Morning Glories

I don't know Kyle if morning glories will grow indoors or not. I've never heard of anyone doing that before. You will need to put them in an east window or have some kind of growing lamp on them in the mornings to open up the blooms. And you'll have a lot of fallen blooms to pick up off the floor every day. :-) They will be beautiful if it works for you. Send in a picture so we can see the results. Sandra (b)(/b) (06/16/2005)

By Sandra Hemstock

RE: Growing Morning Glories

Yes, you can grow morning glories from the seed indoors. I have been doing this for 3-4 years now. And have been very successful at it. I've given many to friends and they are so delighted to plant them in their garden. They grow and grow wild. They take over. Matter a fact my friends put their order in the spring, with me every year. And I am more than glad to please them I have grown them in 8-12 ounce cups. Either hot or cold cups. Plant the seeds at least as deep as your pinky, into the potting soil. Water them twice a day. Once in the morning between 7-9 am. then between 3-6 pm. I have been very proud of my morning glory babies. Especially when I go by my friend's house in the summer and see my babies growing wild. Well knowing in my heart that I started them form a seed. Oh! yeah they need plenty of sun they love lots of sun and plenty of water. Enough to soak the soil but not drown them. (06/16/2005)

By CouselorCounsil

RE: Growing Morning Glories

My baby morning glories were eaten down to only a few inches above the soil. Will they grow new branches? (06/28/2005)

By Susan Titone

RE: Growing Morning Glories

Susan I don't know if they will grow back again or not. I've never had anything eat my morning glories down to within a few inches of the soil. I'd just leave them alone and see if they will start at ground level again. I'd be interested in knowing if they do rebound and grow back. Keep us posted. (06/28/2005)

By Sandra Hemstock

Archive: Growing Morning Glories

I purchased two Heavenly blue Morning Glories and was wondering what the temperature needed to be so I can plant them outside? I live in New Jersey and we haven't had consistent temperatures yet. Anita

Archive: Growing Morning Glories

I have a perennial Morning Glory that has rooted and adapted to Ohio, but is from California. The trouble is it never blooms, or rarely. It is in full sun. It has big blue flowers, and I was wondering if a chemical that is put on Hydrangeas to make them blue would help?

Hardiness Zone: 4b

By Barnie15614 from Columbus, OH

RE: Growing Morning Glories

You may just not be seeing it early enough in the mornings. Morning Glories only open up in the early morning, and they close up early again, too for the rest of the day. If that's not it, they might have adjusted to OH as far as growing, but not the blooming part yet. Try watching earlier in the mornings, and if that's not the problem, I'd check with a nursery and see what they say. (05/22/2009)

By Cricketnc

Archive: Growing Morning Glories

I live in southeastern Ohio. Is it too late to start morning glories outside? It is going to be in the 80s today. I'm not sure how the weather works up here (I'm from Florida), so I am slowing learning. I am having to dig out clay and replace it with compost. Should I start them in the shade or plant them in full sun, in the morning sun?

Thanks, have a great day.

By seedlady from Caldwell, OH