Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Basketball Awards Banquet Decorations

I am looking for fun high school basketball banquet ideas such as decorations and table centerpieces.

By Shelly from Minneapolis, MN

Best Answers

These answers have been rated the best for this question.

By Enter your namLaura Simpson (Guest Post)03/20/2007

We are cutting out basketballs with a saw and painting them, then we make a stand to set them on for each table. We also make memory boards full of pictures from the season and let the kids take some home at the end of the night. We've also taken each kids picture and put it on a cut out of our mascot and glued it to a wire and put in vases on the table. They get to take that home as well. Good luck!

By Michele (Guest Post)03/07/2007

How about paper mache basketballs for your centerpieces. You can even have some wild flowers in them.

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Theresa Walker [8]03/01/2010

Hey you're in luck! I just did the decor for our Cub Scout Blue/Gold Banquet this past Friday. Everyone said it looked great! Plus, very inexpensive & could be easily adapted to whatever your colors or theme. I bought plain colored gift bags & took a stamp & stamped the boyscout emblem onto little squares of recycled white paper. Stuck them on the bags & then we borrowed some balloon weights from our church to attach the balloons & tuck inside the bags. Someone also had a helium tank to blow up balloons, you never know til you start asking, what can be borrowed.The yellow was just a roll of plastic tablecloth cut into squares. This was all decorated in about an hour 1/2 with some great helpers! Good luck!

RE: Basketball Awards Banquet Decorations

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Decorating Ideas For a Girls High School Basketball Banquet

I am looking for decorating ideas for a girls high school basketball banquet. It is coming up in a couple of weeks so I need ideas fast!

Reba from Missouri

RE: Decorating Ideas For a Girls High School Basketball Banquet

A basket ball cake is fairly easy to make, just look online for the right molds and colors. For decor you could try a dollar store for cheap decorations, like streamers and such. Hope that helps somewhat. Theme nights are always fun, popular ones such as, Hawaiian night, country western, mardi gras, winter blues (everybody wears blue) etc. (03/03/2005)

By mkneib86

We used old basketball shoes spray painted gold as centerpieces. Each held a couple balloons in our schools colors. You could also get some mylar basket ball balloons and separate the front from the back to set the shoes on. Good Luck (03/13/2005)

By joann

Archive: Basketball Awards Banquet Decorations

I am planning a Basketball Awards Banquet on a non-existent budget. I need ideas for centerpieces and decorations that would be incredibly inexpensive to make or purchase. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

JodiS from Groton, CT

How about paper mache basketballs for your centerpieces? You can even have some wild flowers in them. (03/07/2007)

By Michele

We are cutting out basketballs with a saw and painting them, then we make a stand to set them on for each table. We also make memory boards full of pictures from the season and let the kids take some home at the end of the night. We've also taken each kids' picture and put it on a cut out of our mascot and glued it to a wire and put in vases on the table. They get to take that home as well. Good luck! (03/20/2007)

By Laura

RE:Spring Sports Awards Banquet Decorations

Our spring banquet this year is being held off site. Normally we hold it in the cafeteria, but chose to splurge a little. Therefore, the decorations were more minimal.

Our theme is Asian Garden. Our girls and boys really dress up. Since I have tons of bamboo in my backyard I am using them to make pagodas and filling vases made out of PVC pipes to put bamboo trees in them. I got paper lanterns (some even at the dollar store) to hang and put on the tables. I am putting take out boxes at each place setting filled with a fortune cookie and candy. Our tickets are Chinese lottery tickets, which will also serve as door prize tickets.

Finally, we have paper umbrellas surrounding the room on the outside tables. Lots of greenery and potted plants. Enjoy! (05/04/2007)

By Tracy

We held a basketball banquet last year. For the centerpieces we used old, large shoe boxes and put a white t-shirt over them and put the team jerseys over the t-shirt. We tied balloons to the shoe box. This was a very inexpensive and beautiful centerpiece. (08/29/2007)

By Ms. Mac

Last year I was in charge of my son's final year playing Jr. High level. I really wanted to go out with a bang. I rented background drapery from the local wedding store in our colors. We put them up and made a make shift "stage" about 40 ft long. Not only did this help segregating where the speakers were to stand, but also made for a super back drop for the team photos the parents wanted to take. We used poster board to make large signs (team colored boards) and added a splash of glitter to make them stand out.

The center pieces were weighted down groups of three regular balloons, with Mylar scattered around the room. Around the balloons were just cheap bowls, filled with finger snacks (chips, salsa, nuts, and mints). That was a BIG hit, as we had a long wait before the meal. Due to over spending on gifts for the boys, cheerleaders, and coaches, I wasn't able to take and blow up photos that I wanted to hang. Maybe this year! (11/15/2007)

By Tina

I spray painted some Styrofoam balls orange and used a magic marker to draw stripes. I then purchased sports themed gift bags from the dollar store and hot-glued three balls coming out of the top of each bag and sat one bag in the middle of each table with some confetti around it. They looked good. You could also just buy a larger half round of Styrofoam and use toothpicks to surround it with the spray painted balls. (03/06/2008)

By E. Moseley

We just did a banquet for our soccer teams. We had almost 400 people. We used old soccer balls and cut them open and filled them with flowers. For center pieces, we used some old soccer shoes and filled them up with flowers. The center piece for the food table was a big soccer ball, and then we had a figure of soccer players. For the stage we used small soccer goals and had balls inside it and hanging in the air, along with cones and soccer flags from the field. On the back curtain for the stage we pinned soccer uniforms on it so it looked like a person, with a shirt, pants, and socks.

Now it is time to do the same thing for the basketball banquet. I will be cutting the basketballs open and filling them with flowers. From the basketball hoop I will be hanging the basketballs like they are going through the hoop. And we are doing it with the cheerleaders also, so we will be using their megaphone and poms for centerpieces. And again, I will be using giant basketballs for the food table, and portable basketball hoops. (02/10/2009)

By Rene

Last year for center pieces I made basketball cookies (sugar cookies with orange and black icing). I made the black lines like on a basketball, and along the longest line I wrote (out of the black icing) a players name and number. I did this for every player. In the center of the tables I put cupcake towers, lined each cupcake holder with a white doily, and placed each cookie on top. It was very pretty, cute, and yummy! I also made extra cookies without names and placed them on large trays at the dessert table for the families. This year I have requests for them again. (02/16/2009)

By Varsity Team Mom

I am organizing a basketball team banquet. I would like ideas for centerpieces and decorations. Our budget is ZERO. Pictures would be helpful. Thank you.