Browsing: Making a Homemade Sewing Needle Sharpener

"Scoop" Needle Fob

Take a baby formula scoop with the hole in the end. Fill it with coffee (sand, etc), seal the large opening, and you have a perfect needle sharpener that sits flat on any flat surface.

Fob.

Approximate Time: under 5 minutes

• baby formula scoop
  • 1-2 Tbsp. sand or coffee
  • small cardboard disk the size of the scoop opening
  • glue or tape
  • small piece of velcro (optional)

Instructions:

1. Take the baby formula scoop, fill with sand or coffee. I prefer coffee, because is smells so good when it's fresh and even sweeter when it's old. Pack it down really solid.
  2. Cut a cardboard or plastic circle the same exact size of the large opening. Either glue or tape securely the disk to the scoop. I glue a small 1/4" piece of Velcro to the scoop and the sewing machine. That way, I can hang it from the machine, or you can just sit it on any flat surface. There is a small hole in the top of the the mound. It's perfect for keeping all the needles and pins in your house nice and sharp. The nice thing about using the tape, is that you can refill it if you want to. ENJOY!

By Sandra from Salem, OR

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

I'm surprised that coffee would sharpen needles! Interesting idea. I would be a little concerned that you could get staining on light colored fabrics though.

That's never happened. However, if you find it does, the instructions say you can use sand, too. Alot of ladies who did this in my family say that human hair is a great needle sharpener, too. I suggested coffee because is works and smells wonderful when it gets old. The nice thing about taping the bottom on is that you can change the stuff inside. The other thing is, you don't keep the needles in it, you just push them inside a few times when they get dull. Thanks for the feedback!!

This is brilliant! I am wondering if salt might work also... just a thought.

Sewing Needle
Making a Homemade Sewing Needle Sharpener
Crafts OtherJuly 29, 2008
several pieces of plastic canvas
Plastic Canvas Tips and Tricks
Using a Keyless Remote
Using a Keyless Remote
Punch Needle Embroidery
Punch Needle Embroidery Tips and Tricks
A wild raccoon looking up.
Rescuing Wild Animals
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 12:56:55 AM on 10.0.0.176 in 722 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.